Keezer Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Curry's currently have £20.00 off kitchen appliances until 13th, so I have ordered this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/househ...45cfw16-chest-freezer-white-10140604-pdt.html which comes to £90.00.

I've seen a keezer build in a similar capacity freezer and it should hopefully hold 3 19l kegs, or 2 19l and 1 9l. This is more than enough capacity for me and it *should* fit under the stairs (although this is currently where I keep my grain and empty fermenters so I'll have to find them a new home).

I've not got round to telling the other half yet, but hopefully the coffee machine I've ordered too is enough of a bribe.

Will update this thread in due course, just thought I'd post now in case anyone wants to take advantage of the discount.

I see that it has a temperature alarm as a feature for that freezer. Presumably you can switch that off seeing as you will keeping it above freezing :-?

Looks like great value and i need one for my 3 corny's. How long is delivery? Could you let me know as probably pay at least £50 for sh.
Thats a really good point about the alarm though. If its just a light tape it over it?

Looks like great value and i need one for my 3 corny's. How long is delivery? Could you let me know as probably pay at least �£50 for sh.
Thats a really good point about the alarm though. If its just a light tape it over it?

Delivery was available from Friday - only free for an all day slot though.

Didn't notice the alarm - must be a way to bypass it, even if it's just cutting some wire?

I have a really dumb question, If you stick 3 Corny's in a freezer won't they freeze? I've been wanting to ask that for ages but I guess you must be bypassing the temp control or something?

That is a good price for a base Keezer build, it may end up on my Christmas list - has the added bonus of being able to be stored in an outbuilding as well :thumb:

I've seen a keezer build in a similar capacity freezer and it should hopefully hold 3 19l kegs, or 2 19l and 1 9l.

Hi!
Looking at other sites, it looks as if there would only be room for two cornies in the main compartment; the third corny would stand on the "hump", so if the collar is wide enough the third corny could be a ful 19 litre, and the gas bottle would stand outside the keezer.

Thanks have had a read on HBT and I think 3 19l ball locks would fit with a wide enough collar. In all likelihood I'll get a 9/10l mini corny as I do shorter brewlengths for stronger or more experimental beers anyway.

Thanks have had a read on HBT and I think 3 19l ball locks would fit with a wide enough collar. In all likelihood I'll get a 9/10l mini corny as I do shorter brewlengths for stronger or more experimental beers anyway.

I presume there isn't any room left for the co2 bottle once you get 3 19L Cornys in? That means you need to feed the gas line through the side of the freezer.

When I was in the planning stage of a keezer I got to a point where it went from making great sense to no sense at all. I was looking at running four 19L kegs. The most affordable chest freezer was around £130. Searching for a secondhand one nearby drew a blank, so I figured I'd have to go for a new one. Then I had to make and protect the collar. I figured around £20 for that. There was also the issue of the freezer warranty; I knew I'd lose that once I'd buggered about with the thing. You might get it past a kid at Currys if a fault occurs in the first 30 days, but after that when it's a manufacturer issue, no chance! Then there's the cost of the controller. Even using an STC1000 and cobbling together a set-up I was looking at around £30.

The reality was that before taps, pipes, connectors and the like I was spending £180. Then I hit the mould issue. A freezer run at higher temperatures will collect slight amounts of water, and with little to no airflow mould soon grows. The more I looked in to it the more I found that mould is a rarely discussed but common issue. The answer was to cut more holes in the freezer and fit fans, or clean it regularly. The latter equals removing all the kegs, disconnecting the taps, lifting off the collar (so I could reach the bottom of it easily), washing with bleach, drying and replacing the collar, pipes and kegs every few months. That was when I hit my 'sod it' moment.

The answer was simple. I measured four kegs for footprint and started hunting for a fridge. The first one I looked at was okay so I hunted for a secondhand one and acquired the Beko fridge from FleaBay for £7.50. I cut a hole in the side to allow access for the CO2 pipe (I drilled out the hole of a rubber bung for a fermenter to widen it and pushed the gas pipe through, and then jammed the bung in the hole), cobbled together a stand for the kegs out of off-cuts of timber and I was good to go.

There's no need for a collar or temperature controller, and fridges are designed to be damp so mould isn't an issue. Even if it is I can reach in and wipe the walls. Also, the footprint is smaller.

My opinion is that fridges are the way to go. I'm thinking of upping my capacity to 8 kegs, so I'll just get another fridge and the footprint will still be smaller than a chest freezer.

fridge1.jpg

fridge2.jpg

When I was in the planning stage of a keezer I got to a point where it went from making great sense to no sense at all. I was looking at running four 19L kegs. The most affordable chest freezer was around �£130. Searching for a secondhand one nearby drew a blank, so I figured I'd have to go for a new one. Then I had to make and protect the collar. I figured around �£20 for that. There was also the issue of the freezer warranty; I knew I'd lose that once I'd buggered about with the thing. You might get it past a kid at Currys if a fault occurs in the first 30 days, but after that when it's a manufacturer issue, no chance! Then there's the cost of the controller. Even using an STC1000 and cobbling together a set-up I was looking at around �£30.

The reality was that before taps, pipes, connectors and the like I was spending �£180. Then I hit the mould issue. A freezer run at higher temperatures will collect slight amounts of water, and with little to no airflow mould soon grows. The more I looked in to it the more I found that mould is a rarely discussed but common issue. The answer was to cut more holes in the freezer and fit fans, or clean it regularly. The latter equals removing all the kegs, disconnecting the taps, lifting off the collar (so I could reach the bottom of it easily), washing with bleach, drying and replacing the collar, pipes and kegs every few months. That was when I hit my 'sod it' moment.

The answer was simple. I measured four kegs for footprint and started hunting for a fridge. The first one I looked at was okay so I hunted for a secondhand one and acquired the Beko fridge from FleaBay for �£7.50. I cut a hole in the side to allow access for the CO2 pipe (I drilled out the hole of a rubber bung for a fermenter to widen it and pushed the gas pipe through, and then jammed the bung in the hole), cobbled together a stand for the kegs out of off-cuts of timber and I was good to go.

There's no need for a collar or temperature controller, and fridges are designed to be damp so mould isn't an issue. Even if it is I can reach in and wipe the walls. Also, the footprint is smaller.

My opinion is that fridges are the way to go. I'm thinking of upping my capacity to 8 kegs, so I'll just get another fridge and the footprint will still be smaller than a chest freezer.

I think you make some really good points about using a fridge. I just checked my new one and i can fit 2 inside which isnt bad but not enough. Really need 4 so going to be looking for a larger one as well. Personally i hate cleaning. Be interested to know what size fridge holds 8 kegs.

When I was in the planning stage of a keezer I got to a point where it went from making great sense to no sense at all. I was looking at running four 19L kegs. The most affordable chest freezer was around �£130. Searching for a secondhand one nearby drew a blank, so I figured I'd have to go for a new one. Then I had to make and protect the collar. I figured around �£20 for that. There was also the issue of the freezer warranty; I knew I'd lose that once I'd buggered about with the thing. You might get it past a kid at Currys if a fault occurs in the first 30 days, but after that when it's a manufacturer issue, no chance! Then there's the cost of the controller. Even using an STC1000 and cobbling together a set-up I was looking at around �£30.

The reality was that before taps, pipes, connectors and the like I was spending �£180. Then I hit the mould issue. A freezer run at higher temperatures will collect slight amounts of water, and with little to no airflow mould soon grows. The more I looked in to it the more I found that mould is a rarely discussed but common issue. The answer was to cut more holes in the freezer and fit fans, or clean it regularly. The latter equals removing all the kegs, disconnecting the taps, lifting off the collar (so I could reach the bottom of it easily), washing with bleach, drying and replacing the collar, pipes and kegs every few months. That was when I hit my 'sod it' moment.

The answer was simple. I measured four kegs for footprint and started hunting for a fridge. The first one I looked at was okay so I hunted for a secondhand one and acquired the Beko fridge from FleaBay for �£7.50. I cut a hole in the side to allow access for the CO2 pipe (I drilled out the hole of a rubber bung for a fermenter to widen it and pushed the gas pipe through, and then jammed the bung in the hole), cobbled together a stand for the kegs out of off-cuts of timber and I was good to go.

I have the slightly slimmer version of that Fridge so can only fit 2 cornies inside :(

Still, where did you get your drip tray form? Been after one for AGES.

I now very much regret sharing this deal and potentially giving Curry's custom as they've been absolutely woeful in dealing with me. They've taken my £145 gift card balance without the transaction actually going through and can't sort it out. So I'm £145 out of pocket and nothing to show for it.

Latest posts

Back