Keezer gas / secondary regulator n00b questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzrp

Reaction score
Hi hoping some people here might be able to help me with a couple of stupid gas set up questions.

Today’s the day where I finally plan to get the keezer fully operational.

I have a 3kg gas bottle, primary regulator, secondary regulator, manifold and a couple of corny kegs (would eventually go to a max of 4 kegs but starting with 2).

My plan was to use the secondary regulator to take a higher pressure line for quick force carbing, and then carry serving pressure supply round to the manifold or distribute to the kegs. I’m totally new to all this gas stuff though so a couple of stupid questions. I’m attaching a pic of the secondary for reference.

* With the secondary regulator… I always assumed that it can only reduce pressure rather than increase… but is that correct?

eg my assumption was that I should take say 30psi from the gas tank to the secondary, branch off for carbing and then take down to 12-15 for supply to the lines… is that right or would you take 12-15 from the bottle and then somehow amplify that with the secondary reg for the carbing line?

* The other question, and I think this might sound really stupid, is how do you know which is which on the secondary. Is the line that branches down vertically the original pressure supply, and the line that continues horizontally the reduced/ controlled by the dial on the secondary? There was no instructions with the reg ans can’t find anything. I’m aaauming it’s intuitive but didn’t want to guess with pressurised gas and cause problems?

Attachments

• FFE1D91D-B648-4ECC-843E-93479563A42B.jpeg
    FFE1D91D-B648-4ECC-843E-93479563A42B.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 44
I think you've got things a bit back to front. I kind of have the setup you want.

I have my CO2 bottle with a regulator attached, primary if you will, this I set to around 40 psi. You want to split the supply here, one line going to your secondary, and one line that you can use for force carbing, sealing and purging kegs etc. which is at 40 psi, presumably you'd terminate this with a gas disconnect.

Then from the outlet of your secondary which you'd set at serving pressure (around 8-10 psi typically) you'd go into the manifold and use this to feed however many kegs you have in your keezer.

Can't really tell from you picture where the gas in is for your secondary but the gas will come out at the pressure you set from the bottom outlet.

The ones I have are like this:

1625138439222.png

The gas feeds through so the two ports on the upper part of the regulator are the in and out, doesn't matter which way round you use them. The bottom port is the regulated output at the pressure you set.

I have 3 of these, one for each keg, so I feed through from the primary at 40 psi and the unregulated/40psi outlet on the final regulator goes to my line that I use for force carbonating and so on.

Your assumption is correct you can only reduce pressure via a secondary regulator.

The one with the shut off (bottom) is the output so to speak the two on the sides allow you to feed in from the cylinder regulator and daisy chain additional secondary regulators on the side.

So in your system you could run the primary regulator at 30 psi to the secondary regulator and out the other side to a grey disconnect for carbing and then step down the output on the secondary to 10-12 psi and run that to the manifold and then on to two more grey disconnects for serving.

The connection to the side should still be 30 psi but at the bottom will be 10-12psi

Hope that makes sense...

Your assumption is correct you can only reduce pressure via a secondary regulator.

The one with the shut off (bottom) is the output so to speak the two on the sides allow you to feed in from the cylinder regulator and daisy chain additional secondary regulators on the side.

So in your system you could run the primary regulator at 30 psi to the secondary regulator and out the other side to a grey disconnect for carbing and then step down the output on the secondary to 10-12 psi and run that to the manifold and then on to two more grey disconnects for serving.

The connection to the side should still be 30 psi but at the bottom will be 10-12psi

Hope that makes sense...

Thanks yeah this is the understanding I am coming to reading more too.

So primary reg set at ~40psi

Supply in to the right hand port of the secondary.

Left hand port of secondary would be the continuation of original pressure so disconnect off of that for forcing.

Vertical down port would be the reduced pressure controlled by secondary reg and go to feed manifold for serving.

Ok, thanks for your help I get it now. Super cautious with the gas and electric stuff first time round lol

Thanks yeah this is the understanding I am coming to reading more too.

So primary reg set at ~40psi

Supply in to the right hand port of the secondary.

Left hand port of secondary would be the continuation of original pressure so disconnect off of that for forcing.

Vertical down port would be the reduced pressure controlled by secondary reg and go to feed manifold for serving.

Ok, thanks for your help I get it now. Super cautious with the gas and electric stuff first time round lol
Yep, that's it.

Thanks for your help both. I just went away with a clear picture of what I needed to do, went into autopilot and still carried on plumbing it in the wrong way. Gotta have something to swear about when doing DIY 😂 thankfully got extra tube so will fix it after a cuppa lol

Latest posts

Back