Keezer insulation question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My polystyrene cups in the 90s seemed to keep my coffee pretty hot without the foil backing, but as I say, I am certainly no expert.

(my personal solution was to not drill at all into the keezer and run 3/16 inch tubing through lid, just cracked open, with silicon to seal it up nicely.)
Thats a different material. Polystyrene versus polyisocyanurate that is used in PIR solid insulation board.

Thanks everyone really appreciate all the replies to help me in my noob quest.

I actually managed to get some 25mm board that was backed, and had some aluminium tape and seeing as this seems to be one of those contentious issues I erred on side of caution. Probably ready for a space mission now but at least it’s done lol

Attachments

• F19041BF-313C-45D1-833F-F834FF8AABB5.jpeg
    F19041BF-313C-45D1-833F-F834FF8AABB5.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 62
If it's polystyrene board then it won't drill. I used a copper rod held in a cheap soldering iron to make a ghetto hot wire cutter and melted a nice neat round hole through it.

@Jzrp

Looks ready for some drilling, tapping and filling to me. Did you paint the collar to match or paint all of it?

The freezer was a kind of skanky off white when I bought it so have spent a lot of the time so far cleaning up sanding and painting and then made the collar and painted that the same colour. It’s a satin finish rustoleum which is quite nice. My bevel cuts on the collar needed some fillers to level out so staining wasn’t really feeling too great an option so went for the same all over.

I have some chalkboard spray paint too was gonna mask out a block on the front underneath taps and drip and spray that on

Currently faffing with the electrics then I will start hacking into the collar!

Attachments

• 8A13C6D8-9863-4CB3-841E-23DE4982BE57.png
    8A13C6D8-9863-4CB3-841E-23DE4982BE57.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 53
  • A00D5A65-6650-4AFA-8975-EBFEDA226EC7.jpeg
    A00D5A65-6650-4AFA-8975-EBFEDA226EC7.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 4E6017B6-38D4-431C-8623-EC1A74BC064E.jpeg
    4E6017B6-38D4-431C-8623-EC1A74BC064E.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 51
Yep I used rustoleum on my fridge as well. I covered up the fridge door rubber seal with black electrical insulation tape.
I just used an appropriate sized drill bit thru the metal and insulation and plastic.
I really wanted some black 3.0 ( its a really dark black spooky ) but couldn't get any here.
https://culturehustle.com/collections/blackHope to get some on a return to England ( whenever that will be).

Yep I used rustoleum on my fridge as well. I covered up the fridge door rubber seal with black electrical insulation tape.
I just used an appropriate sized drill bit thru the metal and insulation and plastic.
I really wanted some black 3.0 ( its a really dark black spooky ) but couldn't get any here.
https://culturehustle.com/collections/blackHope to get some on a return to England ( whenever that will be).

Interesting about the seal because the sharp corners of the seal at the back of the lid have already started removing the paint on the corners of the wooden collar. So taping round under the seal might stop that.

Whereabouts are you based, need it posting?

@Jzrp
No it's not that desperate, plenty of rustoleum and it looks fine. I could get the kids to post it from UK or they can ship it I think. Post is taking a ridiculous time to New Zealand at the moment from UK. Even slower from china. Thanks for the offer though.

@Jzrp
No it's not that desperate, plenty of rustoleum and it looks fine. I could get the kids to post it from UK or they can ship it I think. Post is taking a ridiculous time to New Zealand at the moment from UK. Even slower from china. Thanks for the offer though.
Ok no prob. I actually masked out a section on front of mine today to put blackboard paint on and then decided to spray the whole main section of the front with it as it’s a nice finish

Latest posts

Back