Kefir, anyone making it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
I bought some milk kefir grains last week. Really cheap, less than £4 delivered for 5g. Already making kefir at a fast rate and something which resembles cream cheese. No warming of the milk involved, all you do is leave it in a jar with the grains at room temp.
Anyone else making this? How do you use it? My mate has been making water kefir and its really good.

What's it taste like I have never had it before. I was reading up on the health benefits. They describe it as a thin yogurt

Its a bit like yoghurt but with more depth and runnier but you can leave it longer to thicken. I have left this one 24 hours after it fermented and it has separated into whey and cheese. The cheese is great with salt and the whey is nice too. Better than yoghurt whey from what i remember.
DSC_0100.JPG

What's it taste like I have never had it before. I was reading up on the health benefits. They describe it as a thin yogurt

The natural flavor of kefir is sour, tangy, and thick. However, fermented milk products can go wrong; if you have the slightest doubt after you make kefir, throw it out, because you do not want to get sick from harmful bacteria. Signs that your kefir has gone bad include any molds, spots of discoloration, or intensely sharp, sour odors.

How do I Make Kefir?

MARY MCMAHONLast Modified Date: July 17, 2020

Kefir is a popular fermented milk drink in many parts of the Middle East. It is often available in large markets, and it can also be made at home, if you are good at sterilizing containers and maintaining a clean work space. Many people like to consume kefir because they believe that the living culture used to make it has health benefits, and because they find the slightly sour, rich, creamy flavor enjoyable. Natural kefir is not sweet, although it can be sweetened or flavored with fruit, if desired.

To make kefir, you will need kefir culture. Natural food stores sometimes sell kefir grains, and you can also order kefir starter through various Internet retailers. You will also need a large clean jar and some fresh milk. Ideally, you should boil the jar before use, to ensure that it is as clean as possible before you start to make kefir.

Start by pouring the kefir grains into the jar, and then filling the jar about 2/3 of the way with milk. Remember that as you make kefir, it will expand, so resist the temptation to fill it any higher. Cover the jar with a clean cloth, or use a burping lid which will allow gases and pressure to escape. If you do not use a burping lid, your kefir jar could potentially explode as the milk ferments!

Traditional kefir is fermented at room temperature, and depending on ambient temperatures this will take 12-48 hours. A short fermentation yields a thinner, less sour kefir, while long fermentation creates a rich, very thick, sour kefir. If you leave the kefir out even longer, it can turn fizzy and intensely sour; it is perfectly safe to drink, but the strong flavor can put some people off. You can also encourage a slower fermentation by storing your kefir in the fridge.

After you make kefir to taste, it needs to be strained to remove the culture so that the fermentation will stop. Pour the kefir through a fine strainer or cheesecloth into another clean jar, and store it in the fridge until it is consumed. The starter can be moved to a fresh jar so that a new batch of kefir can be fermented. You can also store kefir starter in the fridge, if you want to slow the fermentation process to stagger your batches of kefir.

The natural flavor of kefir is sour, tangy, and thick. However, fermented milk products can go wrong; if you have the slightest doubt after you make kefir, throw it out, because you do not want to get sick from harmful bacteria. Signs that your kefir has gone bad include any molds, spots of discoloration, or intensely sharp, sour odors.

https://www.wisegeek.com/how-do-i-make-kefir.htm

Hello. Where I come from we drink kefir nearly every day. After fermenting and straining out the grains store in fridge in a jar and give it a good shake to break up any lumps before pouring into cup ad drinking. Goes well with fresh buttered bread :) or just as a drink when feeling peckish. It’s great accompaniment with smelly cheese pasta.
Or use like you would natural drinking yogurt
Just to say when you get your kefir grains, start them off in a small cup and after a day strain the grains out and start as above chippy tea advised. As they traveled and you not sure how long they sat in a baggy - best to refresh them a bit.
Got some in my fridge.
You can also use it in baking instead of butter milk - making kefir chocolate tray bake, it rises beautifully and it’s nice and soft.

Im going to give this a try . Has anyone any links for the grains ? Thanks in advance.

I got mine of e-bay - there is different between the water and milk kefir grains. If you search for milk kefir grains there are quite a few. You only need a little baggy as they grow. They look like Little cauliflower bits.

In this weather the fresh milk with kefir grains only needs 12-24 hours on the counter - I normally taste it and if it’s right, strain it and pop in the fridge It will continue slowly fermenting in the fridge even after grains are removed. Should taste like a strong Tangy yoghurt and it’s done. remove the grains and add to new batch or put in a small pot in a bit of milk - cover with cling film and pop in the fridge for another day. If it’s been sitting there for a while I would refresh it - put them in small cup with fresh milk overnight and then dump the milk and use for a new batch as chippy said. Made up kefir keeps up to two weeks usually (have drunk it well past that but that’s a bit risky if you don’t know how it behaves :) it gets more sour the older it is but Still good to drink. It does congeal into lumps constantly but I just give it a good shake in the bottle - like making a smoothie - Depends how you like it. Not made cottage cheese out of it :)

Here are the grains being refreshed (After sitting in the fridge for two weeks in a bit of milk) before making a new batch tomorrow morning. They do grow so you will end up with bigger cauliflower able to give away to friends and family :)

Attachments

• 5964B536-FAA3-4681-BA9D-36353DAD83BF.jpeg
    5964B536-FAA3-4681-BA9D-36353DAD83BF.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 302
We started using kefir instead of regular yogurt in our breakfast smoothies last year and were happy with it but a bit alarmed at the fact that kefir cost a lot more than regular (plain organic) yogurt.

I felt pretty wary of the kefir grains ads I saw all over the web, they looked like they came from companies trying to make a killing charging way over the odds for tiny quantities.

I used to make regular yogurt long ago from milk and a yogurt starter and started doing this with kefir:

1. Take a small quantity of kefir (50ml or so) from the fridge to use as a starter, and allow to come to room temperature while you do the following. I just use the last bit of the current home made batch; occasionally refresh by buying a new pot.

2. Pour boiling water into a 500ml thermos flask.

3. Warm 450 ml organic whole milk (supermarket blue top) to 82 deg C. I started in a pan but now give it 4.5 - 5.5 minutes in the microwave.

4. Cover and let cool to 46 deg C.

5. Pour hot water out of flask, mix warm milk with existing starter, stir gently, pour into flask, close flask.

6. Leave overnight (8-16 hours depending on when you do this)

7. Open flask, transfer to fridge container.

What we have tastes great but I don't know if it's actually kefir or just yogurt.

We started using kefir instead of regular yogurt in our breakfast smoothies last year and were happy with it but a bit alarmed at the fact that kefir cost a lot more than regular (plain organic) yogurt.

I felt pretty wary of the kefir grains ads I saw all over the web, they looked like they came from companies trying to make a killing charging way over the odds for tiny quantities.

I used to make regular yogurt long ago from milk and a yogurt starter and started doing this with kefir:

1. Take a small quantity of kefir (50ml or so) from the fridge to use as a starter, and allow to come to room temperature while you do the following. I just use the last bit of the current home made batch; occasionally refresh by buying a new pot.

2. Pour boiling water into a 500ml thermos flask.

3. Warm 450 ml organic whole milk (supermarket blue top) to 82 deg C. I started in a pan but now give it 4.5 - 5.5 minutes in the microwave.

4. Cover and let cool to 46 deg C.

5. Pour hot water out of flask, mix warm milk with existing starter, stir gently, pour into flask, close flask.

6. Leave overnight (8-16 hours depending on when you do this)

7. Open flask, transfer to fridge container.

What we have tastes great but I don't know if it's actually kefir or just yogurt.
Hello,
Well you sort of can do it that way and ...no. you can do that few times but after about two or so it might not turn out well and end up with soured milk instead, depends how healthy the culture is in the bought one.
I used to do this with buttermilk all the time however Kefir does need the grains I am afraid, you can be successful in using pre- made kefir for couple of times to do it that way. The grains are not that expensive and if you using kefir often they will grow. They can also be frozen in a bit of a milk and defrosted, refreshed and away you go again making kefir.

But that’s only me, if it’s working for you and tastes ok and you have been successful in culturing than keep doing what you doing :) don’t think you end up with kefir at the end though
EDIT: just noticed that you do occasionally get a new one and refresh :), that’s absolutely fine then! Sorry!!! Will teach me to read it all properly.

I've had one of the commercial ones from the supermarket and I like the taste enough but it does weird things to my stomach, makes loads of gurgling noises and feels weird so I'm a bit undecided on it

Latest posts

Back