Keg carbing pressures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apologies - this must have other threads but I can't find them.

I'm just wondering about the effect that different pressures have on the carbing process. I've just Kegged a nice pale and I've set the pressure to to 20 psi to carb the beer a little quicker. If I leave it at this for say a week, until carbonation is about where I want it, then reduce to say 10 psi for serving, will this produce a different mouth feel/result to carbing at 10psi for say two weeks? I'm not in a massive rush but I do like to have a taste as soon as possible and it just seems sensible to carb at a higher pressure in order to move things along

Apologies - this must have other threads but I can't find them.

I'm just wondering about the effect that different pressures have on the carbing process. I've just Kegged a nice pale and I've set the pressure to to 20 psi to carb the beer a little quicker. If I leave it at this for say a week, until carbonation is about where I want it, then reduce to say 10 psi for serving, will this produce a different mouth feel/result to carbing at 10psi for say two weeks? I'm not in a massive rush but I do like to have a taste as soon as possible and it just seems sensible to carb at a higher pressure in order to move things along
There's no difference in taste, e.g. see two brulosophy experiments, but of course there's the danger of overcarbing which is more significant the quicker you try to carbonate. Easy enough to remedy if it happens though.

It's possible to carb in 20 minutes using the shake method, but I daren't do this.

I go 30psi for 24 hours, then drop to serving pressure. Just made a NEIPA, which is absolute juice, which I know will be less good in two weeks if I do the set and forget method.

Do not be afraid to use the shake/rolling method I virtually do it on all my kegs nowadays as I do not trust leaving the gas on and coming to a empty gas cylinder in the morning.
I find it does not take much more than a few minutes for Bitter and Ales and probably around double for Ipa's and Lagers etc.
Give it a go AJA there's nothing to be scared ofathumb..

That's good then. I just wondered if carbing at a higher psi gave a thinner mouth feel/bigger bubbles than holding out for a smoother, creamier lower level - I have no evidence to back that up, it was just a thought. I'll seek out that Brulosophy experiment.

Set and forget in a garage (approx 10 degrees) for an Ale, I shoot for around 12 psi, leave for 2 to 3 weeks and serve with a Pluto gun on line reducer.

Reduce to 3-5 psi on a beer engine and play around with line length

As said above, the main factor is temperature of the beer which will determine Co2 absorption rate. You can get away with it at this time of year, it's the warmer summer days in a garage that are the killer

I like to set and forget for about two weeks but it’s not ideal having the regulator at fridge temps so I’ve being giving it 30 or 40 for a day or two at room temp then disconnect and put in fridge for a week. Still playing around with this method. Most of my beers are hoppy so want to get it in fridge ASAP.

if it’s in your garage and you are not in a hurry just set and forget. If you want it quick then you have got that option when you need it.

I drilled a hole in the side of my fridge so I don't have this problem :)

i thought about that but as it was a brand knew fridge decided against it. It’s a few years old now so maybe I need to look at it again.

Set and forget. 11c temp and 12 psi. I find about 10 days is sufficient to carb my beers. co2 cylinder is external to the fridge with the gas feed going up through the drain hole. Beer lines - I use 3/16 tubing and started with 3 metres and shortened until I was happy with the pour speed and foaming. My lines are probably nearer 2m now

Latest posts

Back