Keg King's Round Table

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the price point of the Thermentor King once it reaches the UK is lower than the cost of setting up a ferm fridge, I may well be very interested. I'm seriously limited for space (my wife nicked more space during the lockdown here when we ended up with a 2nd fridge-freezer for food, but on the plus size she stopped complaining about me using a draw for hops.... lol), the con would be been limited to only using it with FK fermentors (I use a 30L Speidel too as it's just such a good FV). 😜 Oh, the as loud as a PC, well my PC has 5 120mm case fans set on a fan curve that ramps up when the CPU and GPU are under load, it can get pretty loud (I wear a headset when gaming), so should I assume you mean an idling PC with only a couple of fans? 🤪

@foxy , ahh to have the space to have an FV sat empty waiting for me to dry hop in it..... If I make a space, my wife fills it, she always asks first, but I don't have the heart to say no... aheadbutt
Not sure what you are paying for fridges in the UK but being able to heat and cool is beyond a lot of fridges so by the time you add a temp controller and heater I think the TK will beat that. Not only that it is not as bulky as yet another fridge and you can probably have a better chance of getting these bits past the minister of finance. Less chance of it being commandeered for storing other things too.

@CEO Keg King
Can you talk me through how the dry hop port works on the gen 3 lid? I currently have a snub nose and dry hopping is a relatively painless experience so long as you're careful releasing the pressure before removing the lid. So I'm considering whether a gen 3 lid is worth the investment. Thanks
On the gen 3 lid we designed an opening of about 20mm into which normally goes a threaded plug with another threaded opening in the middle to hold the PRV. So basically release the pressure with the PRV and when that is complete you can unscrew the assembly to reveal that opening to add your hop pellets. You will not have any ingress of oxygen as the CO2 is heavier than air and so it stays on top of your beer unless you were to deliberately blow air into the hole. When adding the pellets is completed you just put the plug back in tight and the vessel will pressurise again with residual fermentation. With the strength of the FK vessels you can also use CO2 for carbonation. Just keep it under the PRV release pressure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 73
It does heating and cooling which sounds good. The issue I have where I brew is quite big temperature swings between day and night, so it would be good to have something which could keep a constant temperature. I mostly ferment kveik, would it be able to hold 35c for a number of days? How many fermenters can one unit support?

Thanks.
The heating is actually quite strong so we put in a 40 degree thermal cutout in case someone sets it too high. Basically designed for one fermenter but for the heating you could do 2 and maybe even 3. However remember there is only one temp probe for the control so the vessels would need to be identical and in in the same situation for control in all of them. Cooling is going to be tougher and if the ambient is over 30 deg C then it will struggle with that. Works well for a single vessel.

Always kept 2 or more dogs, but losing my best 2 friends within a month of each other at christmas, trying to keep just 1....for now.
Sorry for off topic.

Sorry for your loss bud, I remember how much that hurts myself, agree that they do become part of the family.

Not sure what you are paying for fridges in the UK but being able to heat and cool is beyond a lot of fridges so by the time you add a temp controller and heater I think the TK will beat that. Not only that it is not as bulky as yet another fridge and you can probably have a better chance of getting these bits past the minister of finance. Less chance of it being commandeered for storing other things too.

Yeah, I was thinking the total cost of a ferm fridge build, rather than just a fridge, plus the convenience of not having the faff. Retailers here though sometimes get a bit happy with prices, so will have to see what the final price ends up been. I do know though that I'll probably struggle to ever get a fridge in there, and if I do, like you say my wife will probably end up nicking it to store food in, she's already nicked half the space in my hop draw for frozen food. Made it a bit of a faff to get at my hops to be honest... I mean, she has 2 fridge freezers, but still not allowed an entire draw in one of them, shish.... lol

I half expect to find something inside one of the FVs keeping the wort/beer company, except I don't think she can figure out a useful way to use the unused space in them..... 🤪 Please don't invent a chambered FV with storage built in........ No seriously, please don't... lol

Always kept 2 or more dogs, but losing my best 2 friends within a month of each other at christmas, trying to keep just 1....for now.
Sorry for off topic.
Know the feeling but with rabbits although we have a dog and one rabbit as the three rabbits were all got at the same time three sisters and one passed before Christmas past and another in February with one left. All three were dwarf lop eared but kept outside so went from 13 years to 5 1/2 as should be when kept in open spaces of which they had the run of the back garden.

Know the feeling but with rabbits although we have a dog and one rabbit as the three rabbits were all got at the same time three sisters and one passed before Christmas past and another in February with one left. All three were dwarf lop eared but kept outside so went from 13 years to 5 1/2 as should be when kept in open spaces of which they had the run of the back garden.
I thought this thread was going to the dogs but ah well why not rabbits too. Been a
They calm down when you have more than 1 as they burn their excess energy off playing with each other. Having 1 was where you went wrong. 😜
This thread is going to the dogs .....

The heating is actually quite strong so we put in a 40 degree thermal cutout in case someone sets it too high. Basically designed for one fermenter but for the heating you could do 2 and maybe even 3. However remember there is only one temp probe for the control so the vessels would need to be identical and in in the same situation for control in all of them. Cooling is going to be tougher and if the ambient is over 30 deg C then it will struggle with that. Works well for a single vessel.
OK, I'm keen on knowing more about this. Is this on the shipment to the UK and B2B? Is there a date for release (I might have missed it)? Are there any supporting specification docs or manuals?

OK, I'm keen on knowing more about this. Is this on the shipment to the UK and B2B? Is there a date for release (I might have missed it)? Are there any supporting specification docs or manuals?
No its not but I might send some by air next month to B2B and do a giveaway for one. Depends on the interest.

I thought this thread was going to the dogs but ah well why not rabbits too. Been a

This thread is going to the dogs .....
The dogs will win as our cockapoo is a livewire but loveable and only 8 months old. Take him out in the car to the park or beach and he spends his time whining like a laughing hyena...

No its not but I might send some by air next month to B2B and do a giveaway for one. Depends on the interest.

I'm interested - although full disclosure I have a full brew fridge set up. I would be interested in the Thermentor so I can do a second brew whilst my brew fridge is occupied. I would imagine there are plenty in my situation.

@CEO Keg King
Quick thought - can the Thermentor be used in the 60L tanks? That would be a big selling point for me - I can ferment a large batch with stable temp control in a vessel that won't fit in a fridge.

Well I am about to redesign the brewshed and a fridge was on the list. Very high chance I'd change the set up depending on this

@CEO Keg King
Quick thought - can the Thermentor be used in the 60L tanks? That would be a big selling point for me - I can ferment a large batch with stable temp control in a vessel that won't fit in a fridge.
Yes of course it can be used in the larger vessel but I would recommend the Max version for that. We are currently running tests on the 60 litre vessels and by the end of the month I am hoping to have some data to offer on that performance.

Means we will get shafted no doubt :laugh8:

Seriously though, something I am really keen on

£450 by the time it hits these shores then yeah, once customs have levied a nice big tax on it etc etc. :laugh8: Probably still less than the total for a good ferm fridge, but you can't do it a bit at a time and sneak each bit past the wife.... 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back