Keg lost carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keenbutcher

Reaction score
So long story short. I've done a few brews now no not a total novice. This time I've brewed 2 beers in kegs one about a 2 months ago one 3 weeks before Christmas. The carbonation was fine in both kegs and Ive never had a problem before. All of a sudden both kegs are flat. There doesn't seem to be any leaks either. So I thought the co2 must be out.....
Well the bottle gauge still reads 400psi and the keg gauge still set at 12 wheres it always been. Strange? I put the keg pressure up to 18psi to see if it made a difference but nothing flat as a pancake. Any suggestions? Could the bottle be nearly empty but not reading? I've disconnected the gauge a re connected a few times to see and it always read correct.. Help im lost

So long story short. I've done a few brews now no not a total novice. This time I've brewed 2 beers in kegs one about a 2 months ago one 3 weeks before Christmas. The carbonation was fine in both kegs and Ive never had a problem before. All of a sudden both kegs are flat. There doesn't seem to be any leaks either. So I thought the co2 must be out.....
Well the bottle gauge still reads 400psi and the keg gauge still set at 12 wheres it always been. Strange? I put the keg pressure up to 18psi to see if it made a difference but nothing flat as a pancake. Any suggestions? Could the bottle be nearly empty but not reading? I've disconnected the gauge a re connected a few times to see and it always read correct.. Help im lost
Sodastream or pub type bottle?

I queried this when I was using sodastream and was told that actually CO2 is liquid most of the time in a bottle, so the pressure will suddenly go with no warning. How heavy is the bottle?

I assume you mean corny kegs

Its a adams gas 3 litre bottle. Yes 2 19lt corny keg
Trouble is thd gauge is still ready 400psi. Unless this is although high pressure maybe not enough gas to keep the kegs carbonate? I'm no expert so looking for advice from a more experienced brewer

Its a adams gas 3 litre bottle. Yes 2 19lt corny keg
Trouble is thd gauge is still ready 400psi. Unless this is although high pressure maybe not enough gas to keep the kegs carbonate? I'm no expert so looking for advice from a more experienced brewer
I'm no expert either - but my understanding of the advice I received is that the gauge is not registering how much gas is left - just that there is some

Has it always said 400psi - mine say 500psi + (not bragging just saying)

How long have you been using the bottle? Could it possibly be running out? - just guessing

That is what I'm thinking. Although I've remove it and opened the valve and there is still pressure there. If I can't work it out I'll just change it anyway. Its done prob 4kegs already maybe 5..

It was 400psi in the fridge but its gone up to 500psi now its out due to the temp difference and gas expanding inside the bottles guess.

Have you tried lifting the pressure relief valve on the keg lid to see if there is any pressure in them?
Ye done them both, there is pressure there. Seems enough to pour the beer at the same speed as well just no bubbles.

So I've just weighed the bottle. It weighs 4kg. Its a got 3.06kg written on the bottle so I presume this is the empty weight. So I have approx 1kg left which seems plenty? Any idea guys?

So I've just weighed the bottle. It weighs 4kg. Its a got 3.06kg written on the bottle so I presume this is the empty weight. So I have approx 1kg left which seems plenty? Any idea guys?
Suggest that you strip down to your boxers

Step on the bathroom scales and note the weight

Get off, pick up the gas bottle and weigh yourself again on the scales

Lift the bottle above your head twenty times, yodel your favourite melodies from The Sound of Music

Put your clothes back on and see if any one else on the forum has a better idea

Have the kegs been connected to the gas at 12 psi since they were OK or could they have been sitting at 0 for ages then been put up to 12? Don't think about the cylinder feeding them is fine a and not the problem.

You could try whacking the pressure up to say 30psi and giving the keg a shake leave for an 1/2 hour give it another shake and then see if there is any sign carbonation.

The fact that there is pressure is the keg and you can serve Is positive.

Have the kegs been connected to the gas at 12 psi since they were OK or could they have been sitting at 0 for ages then been put up to 12? Don't think about the cylinder feeding them is fine a and not the problem.
First it was a 30psi for 24hr then i dropped it to 12psi to serve and been there ever since. So I'm now thinking I've prob sprung a leak from somewhere. I've disconnected the kegs and put the regand pipes under 30psi. Ill leave them over night see if they drop down if they don't ill connect to the corneys one at a time and see which ones leakin I guess?.....

Check your poppet valves. It could be that the inlet isn't opening, or the outlet one is leaking. Spraying some starsan over them after gassing the keg may show bubbles if they're leaking. Check also your gas disconnect: make sure the centre pin is not damaged or broken. Try to blow through it whilst pressing in the centre pin: you should be able to do so. Also check the input poppet valve outer O ring(s) for damage. There's also a small washer under each dip tube head, inside each poppet valve: if the washer is damaged or the poppet isn't sitting tight on the dip tube head, they'll leak.

Last edited:
Strange that both kegs are simultaneously flat. What's common to both? I'd look for a problem starting upstream from where your gas line splits into two to route to the kegs.

Latest posts

Back