Keg pressure leaking from PRV - replacement O-rings?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muppix

Regular.
Reaction score
Evening All,

One of my Cornelius kegs isn't holding pressure, and on closer inspection of the PRV (constant hissing was a clue) it seems there's a tear in the tiny O-ring at the bottom of the PRV plunger. I've looked high and low, and while it's easy to find O-rings for disconnect posts, keg lids, etc, I just can't source a replacement O-ring for the pressure relief valve. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very much in advance ...

You can buy a new pressure relief valve off Fleabay for approx £4 or get one of those O ring sets in a box I am sure you will get some to fit in the set plus spares for other items etc.
If not I am sure somebody will come up with the exact size you want athumb..

Cheers Mr. Baron - but I'm too tight to effectively spend £4 for an O-ring, even if I do get a spare PRV into the bargain, and I suppose the same goes for a whole set. Surely I can't be the only person who needs one of these ..... ?

PRV is a safety device, I wouldn't mess around with it. Screw out bin it screw in the new one.

I kind of get that, but if I can be trusted to replace said safety device then surely I can manage to replace an o-ring?

Suspect you're right though - safety card being played in the name of profit gain / liability dodge. Which is a shame because one of the predictable outcomes is that people will turn to eBay or a generic O-ring kit, and that might result in a situation more dangerous than replacing the consumable with a new OEM part from the manufacturer.

Hey Folks - just a quick note to close the loop on this topic in case anybody subsequently finds this thread while looking for replacement PRV O-rings. I've successfully used eBay item 293099538597 which is 4mm inner diameter (ID) and 2mm thickness, £4.40 for a bag of 50. They appear to be identical to the original seals as shipped with my Cornelius keg and are holding pressure perfectly.

The image below shows the original on the left - it's slightly swollen with age, has a poorly finished seam and a small tear which makes it look larger.

IMG_5308.jpeg

Hey Folks - just a quick note to close the loop on this topic in case anybody subsequently finds this thread while looking for replacement PRV O-rings. I've successfully used eBay item 293099538597 which is 4mm inner diameter (ID) and 2mm thickness, £4.40 for a bag of 50. They appear to be identical to the original seals as shipped with my Cornelius keg and are holding pressure perfectly.

The image below shows the original on the left - it's slightly swollen with age, has a poorly finished seam and a small tear which makes it look larger.

View attachment 53690
The reason for the slight difference in size is probably because Corny keg o-rings are all Imperial sizes, not metric. The original is likely to be either BS1806-105 or BS1806-106. It looks like in the case of the PRV ring the difference is so small it doesn't matter.

Latest posts

Back