Keg storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allcfc

Reaction score
Hi all. New to the forum. Have already read lots of useful posts.

I have recently brewed a beer. After fermentation I bottled half and put the rest in a corny keg 19l.

I won't be able to drink the keg stuff for 2/3 weeks. How to I make sure it stays fresh? Do I need to add co2 now to keep it fresh and free of oxygen? I can't store it is a fridge as don't have one for it currently. Is outside okay?

Thanks
Alex

Pressurise with co2, pull the pressure relief. Repeat a couple of times. This should purge the head space of most of the oxygen. Then if you can set to serving pressure (10psi or so), and leave it connected to carbonate up in the next week or so. It'll be fine outside.

Just to confirm. After a week of so shall I disconnect co2 or just keep it at serving psi until I'm drinking it?

Up to you. It won't do any harm to either leave it connected or disconnect it. It'll have reached equilibrium so no gas moving. As long as there are no leaks you'll be good.

Alternatively give it about 30psi for a few minutes after burping then after a few days keep topping up to 10 psi.
You can do that, but easier to keep it connected at 10psi and forget if you can. Less chance of overcarbonated or developing leaks.

I just purge mine a few times, then pressure up to around 30 - 40 psi to ensure it's properly sealed, disconnect the gas and leave it in the garage until I'm ready to drink it. Only then do I move it into the keg fridge and force carb it. The lids seem pretty airtight to me once I've established that initial seal, a little keg lube on the lid seal helps with this.

I never set and forget now as even tiniest leak and thats your tank empty. I just work out carbonation chart pressure and every time I walk past I turn gas on to pressure it back up. Gets there by the time beer has conditioned without risk of losing tank of gas.

I never set and forget now as even tiniest leak and thats your tank empty. I just work out carbonation chart pressure and every time I walk past I turn gas on to pressure it back up. Gets there by the time beer has conditioned without risk of losing tank of gas.

I do this by default, just because I have one tank and multiple kegs on the go and I haven't yet got round to setting up a gas manifold. Good to know there are benefits to it.

Latest posts

Back