Kegarator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the mould, any pictures? Can you cut it?

Here is a pic, cutting it looks like it would be a very awkward job, very much so indeed. The entire moulding should need to come off but even pulling the door seal back I can't see any signs the moulding was ever screwed on so likely it might clip on I'm thinking. If I could force the entire panel off then great, otherwise it's going to be a b@$t@rd of a job. IMG_20200121_164242.jpg

Here is a pic, cutting it looks like it would be a very awkward job, very much so indeed. The entire moulding should need to come off but even pulling the door seal back I can't see any signs the moulding was ever screwed on so likely it might clip on I'm thinking. If I could force the entire panel off then great, otherwise it's going to be a b@$t@rd of a job. View attachment 22560

After a quick examination, thankfully it's not physically a single moulded door which is what I first thought that would render the fridge useless or more work that it's worth. But it's more a single whole panel moulding that's tucked tightly under the seal and glued on to the door insulation foam.

So whilst with some work I might be able to remove the entire inside door moulding with hopefully no real damage to the seal, I will however be right down to the exposed insulation foam. Assumingly, I will need to recover this foam to prevent mould etc?. If so, without wanting to invest (as it's just a test project) in a sheet of plastic to recover the insulation foam is there a cheap alternative I could use to seal the foam from mould?.

After a quick examination, thankfully it's not physically a single moulded door which is what I first thought that would render the fridge useless or more work that it's worth. But it's more a single whole panel moulding that's tucked tightly under the seal and glued on to the door insulation foam.

So whilst with some work I might be able to remove the entire inside door moulding with hopefully no real damage to the seal, I will however be right down to the exposed insulation foam. Assumingly, I will need to recover this foam to prevent mould etc?. If so, without wanting to invest (as it's just a test project) in a sheet of plastic to recover the insulation foam is there a cheap alternative I could use to seal the foam from mould?.

Got any bathroom paint?

Well taking the moulding off the under counter fridge was a bigger job than I thought, the bugger just didn't want to come off and had to rip it off in small bits in the end. What I thought would be a quick 30 min job turned into a 2 hour job!!!. And that seriously ate into my homebrew sampling session so not very happy about that!.

But the foam has had a rough cut back to make it fairly flat to the door (all moulding removed) and now only really requires sanding to make it flat & smooth. Did slightly damage the door deal on the inside both removing the moulding & cutting the foam back. Hopefully it won't make to much difference and still usable. Though I didn't have & couldn't find the bathroom paint as suggested to seal the foam. So will opt for some good old gaffer tape for now which seems to stick a bit, hopefully that will do. But time called working on the project for the day so hopefully at least get the sanding done and hold cut for the tap before work tomorrow. Won't look nice or pretty, but should do for now once finished.

Latest posts

Back