Kegerator from chest freezer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chor808

Reaction score
Hello All,

So after getting fed up with bottling I've ordered two Cornelius kegs from MM. I am picking up CO2 today. Now I have a brew fridge which was given to me and that should fit in a keg however I'd rather have a dedicated Kegerator so I can keep brewing in the brew fridge.

Has anyone made one out of a Chest Freezer? I was thinking of something like this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...00cfb17-chest-freezer-black-10156613-pdt.html

As it is black so will look better in the dinning room:thumb:

I assume I can just set it to low and use an inkbird like I have on the brew fridge? Does it look big enough to fit a couple of kegs? I would just add a drip tray and a double tap on the lid.

I am going the right way here? I looked at ready made ones they are about 600 quid!! I'm not sure why someone is not knocking them out at 300.

Any advice is welcome.

Hi!
Most keezer owners fit a wooden collar to allow gas/beer lines to pass from the interior to the exterior without having to hack about at the freezer body. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHWy_Vlw3J4[/ame]

If you put taps on the lid it may be a problem as well.

This is mine, I can get 2 kegs in, possibly get three in.

wv3khe.jpg

Hi.

I've done exactly what you are looking at, with the same freezer!
Yes you can fit two kegs in quite easily, and have somewhere to store your hops too. I bit the bullet and drilled through the side and lid, the side to put the gas line through, and the lid so I could put a two tap beer tower on. Everything woked out fine; not sure if I just got lucky though :grin:

Not sure if a wider freezer would a) fit your house or b) you would want three kegs. Personally I would have liked to have gone a bit bigger (from front to back) so I could have got the third Keg in, but I just didn't have the space to fit it. One thing I would say is that if you are going to use crusader kegs, the fit is tight and you would need an elbow bend on the liquid out. No such problems with cornies, hence why I will soon have two crusader kegs and couplers for sale!!

I bought a second hand chest freezer from gumtree, cost me £40. I rubbed it down with some fine sand paper and gave it 2 coats of blackboard paint. Removed the lib and fitted a collar like in the video. I lined the collar with that silver bubble wrap. I use a STC-1000 to control the temp. It works great. I get 5 kegs in mine

just be mindful of condensation. if you suffer from any mop it up and get it out asap, it may be prudent to leave a towel in the base to absorb any as it drips off the kegs.

freezers are not designed to contain water for any length of time and dont generally have any drainage capacity and if it seeps into the insulation it can go all mankey with anearobic microlife..

I bought a second hand chest freezer from gumtree, cost me £40. I rubbed it down with some fine sand paper and gave it 2 coats of blackboard paint. Removed the lib and fitted a collar like in the video. I lined the collar with that silver bubble wrap. I use a STC-1000 to control the temp. It works great. I get 5 kegs in mine

What model do you have, looking for a 5 keg capacity freezer

What model do you have, looking for a 5 keg capacity freezer

I'm not sure its an old Indesit one. I can fit 3 kegs in a row no problem. Then it has a step inside running along the full length of it. Because the wooden collar has raised the height I can fit 2 kegs on there, either side of my gas distribution manifold. I will see if I can upload a pic if I have on on my pc and will get some measurements for you tonight

Back