Kegerator taps: shanks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor2112

Reaction score
Hi. I'm gradually accumulating parts for a two tap kegerator build. As part of that I picked up a couple of flow control taps second hand (but unused). They are like these:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=282558447582

A bargain, I thought, at £15 for two. However, I'm now a bit worried about the shanks. It's only about 3cm of clearance, so I'm assuming I will have to get longer ones to go through the door of my fridge. Does anyone have any experience with these taps? Is that shank actually able to be removed, or is it part of the tap itself. I ask because the flow control pin is in the existing shank. I'd rather check that it can be removed before putting it in a vice and getting a wrench out. Hopefully the pictures explain what I mean if I've not been clear.

IMG_20190117_122547.jpg IMG_20190117_122554.jpg

After removing the collar as you have done in the first shot the shank just pulls out exposing the metal cone that moves back and forwards to constrict the flow as you move the lever. It's only held in by the friction of a rubber o ring.

After removing the collar as you have done in the first shot the shank just pulls out exposing the metal cone that moves back and forwards to constrict the flow as you move the lever. It's only held in by the friction of a rubber o ring.
Ha! Brilliant. Thanks very much.

Hi!
The exterior panel of the fridge door will be metal. If your shank is almost too short, try attaching it to the metal panel only. Of course, this will mean cutting out a channel through the inner panel and the insulation.

Back