Kegging and storage advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajdpilot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some advice.

Currently I have an all grain UK pale ale bubbling away nicely on it's primary fermentation.
The main problem I have, is in just over a week I'll be heading to work overseas and will be away for about 6 weeks.
I'm trying to decide what to do with the beer whilst I'm away.
I know theres mixed feelings about filtering, however i want to filter this batch (1 micron).
I'm wondering whether:
1- to transfer it to a standyby bucket, remove the trub and put it back into the fermenter (ss brewtech brew bucket (without trub drain valve)) for an extended secondary.
2- to transfer it to my Cornelius keg and leave it unfiltered until i return home to condition (what head pressure would you recommend to store this at?, I'm new to Cornelius kegs)
3- filter it into the Cornelius keg and leave it just with a storage pressure until i return and force carbonate when i return. Any recommendations on storage pressure? I wont be leaving the CO2 connected whilst I'm away.

Please let me know your thoughts, any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy

Is it a good idea leaving it in contact with the trub for...it'll be 8 weeks total time in there before i can do anything to it?

Hi!
Either keep it on the trub or transfer to a secondary vessel, but either way I would reduce the temperature - an extended cold crash, if you like - followed by kegging and force carbing.

Well, option 1 sounds good to me, still in contact with a smaller amount of yeast, it should be fine. The cooler the better for storage, I would think. Probably no need to force carbonate on return, as yeast is very persistent.

Latest posts

Back