Kegging starter kits. Good value?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you are backing off the regulator (anticlockwise) and it goes loose you should stop there, at this point the regulator is fully backed off. Are you getting the leak from both regulator outlets?

When you are backing off the regulator (anticlockwise) and it goes loose you should stop there, at this point the regulator is fully backed off. Are you getting the leak from both regulator outlets?

That's good to know, thanks. I have only tested the first outlet. The second is closed, backed off to the position you've said. I've stuck some stretched out blu-tack over the unused outlet and tested that if gas escapes then the blu-tak will dome up and pop. That hasn't happened so it's not leaking. At the moment I'm reasonably confident that I have no leaks. It'll be a week or so when I start tapping off the brew that I'll find whether it's actually able to regulate when the pressure drops.

Hi!
I've just read your post - are you still getting a leak?
How do you know it's leaking?

I'm as sure as I can be at the moment that it's not leaking. I discovered the odd behaviour with the regulator knob when I was leak-testing with just water in the keg. After putting the beer into the keg I observed this exact behaviour. The explanation given in post #9 seems reasonable. At the moment after 4 days I'm seeing little or no change to the pressure so the spring may be bedding in. I guess I'll find out whether it's regulating or not when I start tapping off pints in a week or so. If it doesn't regulate then it'll have to be returned.

Since this was discussed here before, I finally found what looks like a great place to buy the CO2 cylinders - https://www.gas-uk.co.uk/rent-free-gas-cylinders/beverage-gases

£25 for 5L or £35 for 10L cylinder, £40 deposit, free delivery. Instead of getting refills you just buy another and return the first cylinder for a refund of the deposit on that cylinder. This looks decent value to me and convenient, plus they also dont charge extra for delivery to "non-mainland UK" addresses such as Aberdeen.

Since this was discussed here before, I finally found what looks like a great place to buy the CO2 cylinders - https://www.gas-uk.co.uk/rent-free-gas-cylinders/beverage-gases

£25 for 5L or £35 for 10L cylinder, £40 deposit, free delivery. Instead of getting refills you just buy another and return the first cylinder for a refund of the deposit on that cylinder. This looks decent value to me and convenient, plus they also dont charge extra for delivery to "non-mainland UK" addresses such as Aberdeen.
That looks good to me. I paid around the same for a 9 litre (6.3kg, i think they're equivalent), with a larger deposit and had to drive to glenkindie to collect it. If they agree to deliver to Aberdeen please let me know, i might use them next time

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

plus they also dont charge extra for delivery to "non-mainland UK" addresses such as Aberdeen.
*grumble grumble* Aberdeen is not in the highlands nor is it an island... Same goes for the shire. I had to get Beers of Europe to deliver to my mum's work in aberdeen cause they were going to charge an extra £11 for driving the extra 14 miles which is soon to be entirely dual-carriageway. :-)

Warning! Small print alert! With these guys you start to lose your deposit after 12 months. It's in the terms and conditions PDF that you can download.

terms.png

Odd way to measure co2 ? by volume without specifying the containment pressure? though im far from any sort of expert, and it may well be a standard metric for welders?? ..

the 20l bottle looks smaller than a 6.5kg bottle?

Home delivery is certainly convenient but it looks like your gonna pay for it

Odd way to measure co2 ? by volume without specifying the containment pressure?
It is strange, for the 5L cylinder they state "nominal contents 3.75Kg", CO2 has a density 1.98Kg/m3, so the 5L cylinder contains 1.89m3 of gas (= 1890L). 1890L in a 5L cylinder is equivalent to 378bar pressure, I would expect around 200 bar pressure.

foxbat - I didnt notice this but its not a big worry - if a cylinder were to last upto 18 months thats just £8 rental. If I still had gas left after 18 months then probably better to return it for a new one (and drink more beer!!).

Next task is to find a decent dual body regulator. I would like the option of being able to set 2 separate pressures without the need of 2 cylinders and regs. Anyone got any good recommendations?

Next task is to find a decent dual body regulator. I would like the option of being able to set 2 separate pressures without the need of 2 cylinders and regs. Anyone got any good recommendations?
The one I bought is this one and it looks like I got the last one in his current stock. Maybe drop him an email and ask when more are expected? I'm holding off recommending it until it's thoroughly broken in and I've pulled off a few pints because I want to see it actively regulate a drop in pressure back to the set point.

BeerHawk stock the dual version of the CO2PO regulator. It costs more than mine did but it looks really nice in the YouTube videos I watched of the single version.

First bit of feedback on the flow-adjustable taps.

They work!

I've just pulled my first pint at 12psi through only 3/8 pipe rising vertically about 5' from cornie to tap through about 5' of pipe. No unwanted foam whatsoever and I can perfectly control the depth of head with the little lever thingy on the tap. The whole system is at ambient temperature - about 12C at the moment in my garage.

It would appear that kegs multiply like rabbits. My standard 19 litre cornie has now been joined by two of these 12 litre jobbies. Two is enough to fit an entire brew into and they will both fit into my brew fridge side by side because they're shorter than a standard keg.

The plan is to keep chilled and carbonated lager in them over the summer, taking them out in ice-pack jackets for serving in the evenings. I'm very pleased I forked out for the dual product regulator.

Back