Kegging

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tridimnaw

Reaction score
Morning all, I've got my beer fully fermented and hops been in coming up to 3 days. I've got my keg (Corney) and regulator but have no gas 🙈🙈. With the current climate I'm not looking at getting it till next week.

My question is if I batch prime my beer and pop it into the Corney will it cause me any issues down the line??

Looking to get it kegged and the remainder bottles this afternoon

If you are getting your gas in a week I would just put a little sugar in the corny enough to create a blanket over the top of the beer. In a couple of days just vent it to try and get rid of any oxygen in the keg or Ideally wait until the gas comes as the beer will be ok for another week just do not lift the lid as it should have a co2 blanket over it the added bonus is the beer will be clearer especially if you leave it somewhere cold like garage

I use a couple of 9.5L corney kegs and prime with sugar, just using CO2 to dispense. However for all intents and purposes I am just using them like stainless steel pressure barrels, tends to be low gravity session beers i.e. Bitters and milds. One point to bare in mind when you prime with sugar you will get a layer of sediment at the bottom, and I tend to toss the first quarter pint, however the beer otherwise comes out clear. This works for what I brew but may not be effective for other styles.

Last edited:
Imuse a couple of 9.5L corney kegs and prime with sugar, just using CO2 to dispense. However for all intents and purposes I am just using them like stainless steel pressure barrels, tends to be low gravity session beers i.e. Bitters and milds. One point to bare in mind when you prime with sugar you will get a layer of sediment at the bottom, and I tend to toss the first quarter pint, however the beer otherwise comes out clear. This works for what I brew but may not be effective for other styles.
You could use a floating dip tube, by the time you get to the bottom the sediment will be compacted down.
I have been thinking of a way to do away with using co2 in pressure barrels, by just using air, I have tried it in a keg and it works, may be for another thread though.

If you are getting your gas in a week I would just put a little sugar in the corny enough to create a blanket over the top of the beer. In a couple of days just vent it to try and get rid of any oxygen in the keg or Ideally wait until the gas comes as the beer will be ok for another week just do not lift the lid as it should have a co2 blanket over it the added bonus is the beer will be clearer especially if you leave it somewhere cold like garage
No such thing as a blanket I'm afraid (remember the bromine experiment you did in chemistry lessons?). The gas molecules are not at rest. At room temperature CO2 molecules are moving at 375m/s. O2 at 480m/s and they are doing so in random directions. They mix evenly over time.

Latest posts

Back