Kegging

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final straw, I’ve just lost the half dozen or so bottles of my last brew the were at the back of the brew fridge and froze. My fault, I’d over filled it and the inkbird thermistor was at the front so the fridge was running the whole time.
Anyway, I’ve decided to turn it into a kegerator. I brew one lager a year during the winter months so I can switch it back for fermentation for the couple of weeks that the garage is at 3 or 4 degrees anyway.

The plan concocted on my crimbo bender is, BrewKegTap starter kit (keg, party tap, tubing and fittings), CO2 tank from one of the local suppliers, and a beer gun to fill bottles or mini kegs if the mood is upon me.

I won’t need the fridge for bottle conditioning and I can go back to garden trug and aquarium heater for fermentation if ambient temps are low.

Am I missing something obvious?

You need a regulator for your CO2 bottle. BrewKegTap should sort you out for that. I also recommend using 3/8” line for gas in and 3/16” line for beer out. The 3/16” line needs some reducers but helps reduce foaming to the tap... speaking of which.

You don’t need a bottle gun though. With a party tap on 1.8m of 3/16” beer line you can easily fill bottles directly. When filling just let a bit of foam come out the top of the bottle and cap on that to ensure an oxygen free fill.

I’ve bottled a NEIPA with 200g hop this way and really could not tell a difference from the keg.

You need a regulator for your CO2 bottle. BrewKegTap should sort you out for that. I also recommend using 3/8” line for gas in and 3/16” line for beer out. The 3/16” line needs some reducers but helps reduce foaming to the tap... speaking of which.

You don’t need a bottle gun though. With a party tap on 1.8m of 3/16” beer line you can easily fill bottles directly. When filling just let a bit of foam come out the top of the bottle and cap on that to ensure an oxygen free fill.

I’ve bottled a NEIPA with 200g hop this way and really could not tell a difference from the keg.
With the plastic party taps the grey rigid 3/8 beer line is a snug fit in the spout so if you cut a short length you can fill from the bottom of the bottle.

Thanks all. Starter kit is here and includes a regulator.
https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/standard-keg-kit-with-deluxe-party-tap?variant=32754228887633Ill drop the beer gun. I’ll be looking to fill bottles and minikegs for parties (once we get to have them again), so glad not to have an extra expense.
Beer and gas line is less than a couple of quid for 3m so I might grab a bitn extra in a couple of sizes.
Brewing a Munich Helles tomorrow so first fill isn’t too far away.

Thanks all. Starter kit is here and includes a regulator.
https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/standard-keg-kit-with-deluxe-party-tap?variant=32754228887633Ill drop the beer gun. I’ll be looking to fill bottles and minikegs for parties (once we get to have them again), so glad not to have an extra expense.
Beer and gas line is less than a couple of quid for 3m so I might grab a bitn extra in a couple of sizes.
Brewing a Munich Helles tomorrow so first fill isn’t too far away.
I recently started kegging and have also ordered more 3/8 and 3/16 line than I needed and am glad I did. The 3/8 is useful for a number of things(black-to-black disconnects for keg-to-keg transfer, carbonation cap, growler filler (using picnic tap) etc.
I have loads of 3/16 so I can have different lengths for different styles(i.e balanced lines).

Back