Kelpie - Seaweed beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never tried one, but sounds interesting. No shortage of seaweed around here either - at the moment it's being washed over the sea wall and on to the path at the back of my house.....

Never heard of Gose beer?

Never tried one, but sounds interesting. No shortage of seaweed around here either - at the moment it's being washed over the sea wall and on to the path at the back of my house.....

Never heard of Gose beer?

Neither had I until I started looking into this. It's a old German style;e of beer. Sour, herby and salty! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gose

Bladderwrack seems to be the seaweed of choice and is added into the mash or boil. A Marine biologist friend of mine warned me that seaweed from industrial areas can take on heavy metals so should be cautious.

The brewery who makes Kelpie has helped by providing a basic recipe to start with and saying they add the seaweed in the mash. The describe it as a rich, dark, chocolate ale.

Lager Malt, crystal malt, chocolate malt and roasted barley. OG 1045, ABV 4.4%. Hops first gold and savinjski goldings.

As crystal is rarely more than 20% of the grain bill, roasted barley (10%) and chocolate malt (10%), this is a good starting point.

Will have to listen to some Sepulture whilst brewing to complement the heavy metals the seaweed brings.

Scottish friend of mine bought me a bottle of kelpie. I enjoyed it, got the salinity as was said.

+1 for heavy metals. choose your location carefully. Mercury and lead is high in filter feeders. That's why they say no shell fish for preggo women as the heavy metals can interfere with the feoutus growth. ;-)

Edit : Double post, on a train with intermittent signal.

MODS !!!!!

I live in an area with no industry and some of the fastest tides in the UK. The seafood (shellfish specifically) is sought after by restaurants near and far due to the unpolluted water, so no AC/DC playing bladderwrack for me! I think a good starting point for the grain bill would be 10% crystal, 5% roasted and chocolate. Trying to put my head where the original brewers would have been, and what was most likely the cheapest and readily available. The big unknown is how much seaweed I guess!

Ever heard of Dulse? It is eaten as a snack in these here parts. I don't normally advocate this, but google it....

Ever heard of Dulse? It is eaten as a snack in these here parts. I don't normally advocate this, but google it....

wonderful stuff...i particularly like the wee tiny crunchy shells it can contain...

any time we visit relatives in England we have to bring Dulse and Veda..(another one to google)

wonderful stuff...i particularly like the wee tiny crunchy shells it can contain...

any time we visit relatives in England we have to bring Dulse and Veda..(another one to google)

Yeah, that and sand, broken glass and bits of prophylactic....

And that's just from Millisle...

Yeah, that and sand, broken glass and bits of prophylactic....

adds to the experience

lol havent had any in ages it got quite trendy for a while...

as a kid used to stay at relatives farm in Carnlough

back then it was sold in paper bags.now it tends to be in poly bags with dates on it ..a man who i am sure is dead 30 odd years suggested we set dulse on top of the aga.....wow it was amazing..

Damn u Manse im gonna have to find Dulse...

lol........Sounds like a plan....this has got me thinking Oyster stout...

I live in an area with no industry and some of the fastest tides in the UK. The seafood (shellfish specifically) is sought after by restaurants near and far due to the unpolluted water, so no AC/DC playing bladderwrack for me! I think a good starting point for the grain bill would be 10% crystal, 5% roasted and chocolate. Trying to put my head where the original brewers would have been, and what was most likely the cheapest and readily available. The big unknown is how much seaweed I guess!

Thats pretty much what I had come up with. Messing around with it in beer smith and then will scale it down to a maybe 5-10L and try a test batch.

Never heard or dulce, have had lava bread however which is a welsh seaweed mush. Both are algae so not sure if it could be used. 50g of dried bladderwrack is about £3 online so would probably start with that (perhaps not the whole 50g)!

Going to go prog with the music accompaniment. Maybe some Tool or some Mastodon.

Latest posts

Back