Kenridge vieux chateau du roi

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko

Reaction score
Hi all
I bought this kit today and on the box it says there are elderberries included. On opening the box the only extra addition is the oak dust. Anyone made this kit that can advise?

Thanks dicko

If memory serves me correctly, they're included in the juice compound. Can't remember which variety of kit it was but something was listed on the ingredients but was seemingly missing so I emailed them. They said that they were planning to alter the packaging to say it was already in with the juice

Cheers. Tom

Was thinking of buying this kit how’s it going
Hi willshill
I'm haven't made it up yet, hopefully today.
I called in my lhbs to ask about the elderberries and I was told they no longer include them in the kit. Plus when they did it was only an egg cup full any way.
Regarding the taste I'm told it's quite fruity!

Cheers
Dicko

Just had a dig through my brewing logs and can confirm that the kit was a Kenridge classic Nebbiolo. On the list of ingredients was elderberries but like yours there was no sign of them in the box. I've not got the email now but I did get a reply from youngs saying that the elderberries were pulped and now included in the bag of concentrate

Cheers. Tom

If I may jump in on your post, I made one of these kits up, as a dip my toe into the expensive kits experiment.
Wow, did I just type wow, yes wow. I was massively impressed with the wine.

Bottled Kenridge Classic Nebbiolo at Easter, tried another bottle last week, it has improved but is still underwhelming , has been doing a few fruit wines lately which I think can be slight experiment on techniques at low cost , hope this improves my expensive kit results

The eldiberries are probs in the juice.As far as the Oak is is used it has long been the practice to use oak chips or sawdust for use in wine.

Some and i repeat Some wine kits can be awsome.Its a mistake to dissmis them as beginners only ****.

Agreed I also made a Kenridge Sauvignon Blanc a month later and it is excellent, I did filter it though so maybe that helps. On the subject of elderberries I have a The Range red kit and was thinking of adding elderberries which I have in the freezer, question is how many and do I need to treat them anyway or chuck them in from frozen.

Whilst elderberries are generally thought of a good thing in regards to a nice colour ect.Do be aware they are very high in tannin.Most elderberry based wines need a good long period of maturation before they are at the best.

Hi I was just trying to spice up the cheap Range kit , some tannins wouldn’t be a problem although the elderberry would be racked off fairly early in fermentation, I was actually looking advice on treatment of elderberry before adding to must . Any advice very welcome

If you pick elderflower you won’t have elderberries , how do I make frozen elderberries sterile ?

Sulphite which i dont personly like or pastuerise.( which i do.)
Clean and sterille working is the key to making wine rather than some foul concotion.

How do I pasteurise , into boiling water and then ice water ? , will that work

I use a clean pan take it to about 80c hold at that temp for about 15 mins then sit the pan in a washing up bowl of cold tap water to cool it.

It avoids "cooking" your ingredients which would radically change the taste.

Re:> Willsihill1,What you have described is known as "blanching" and should kill off any wild yeast or spoilage on the surface of the fruit.

Latest posts

Back