Kettle Elements for DIY Boiler?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thinking about dabbling in some extract brewing this year, never know might lead to me doing some BIAB stuff, but either way I'd quite like to be able to boil at full volume.

Now having seen a few guides I was going to make my own boiler as I don't want to spend too much however it seems that Tesco have stopped selling the very inexpensive Value Kettle from which elements could easily be taken. So I'm after ideas for a low cost element. There seems to be a few kettles with exposed elements around the £8-£10 mark which look like they'd do the job e.g. Buy Cookworks Plastic Kettle - Black | Kettles | Argos but a bit more in price than the old Tesco option. The other option is these slightly dodgy looking Chinese jobs which I'm sure can be had for £6 if you shop around: 1pc AC220V 1500W Heating Element Heater Steel Heating Tube for Electric Kettle | eBay

Thing that puts me off these is the power, at 1500W would that be enough to keep a rolling boil on a 5 gallon brew. I'd fit two anyway for redundancy but if I need both of them running to keep a decent boil then there wouldn't be any redundancy. I guess the Argos jobs a 2200W wouldn't have a problem on that front.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Screenshot_2021-01-19-09-18-44-1.png

This is the donor kettle for my 30ltr boiler. Maybe not one of the fastest things to ramp up but definitely holds a boil.

at 1500W would that be enough to keep a rolling boil on a 5 gallon brew
Yes. Basing this on using induction. At 1500 watts I get a fierce boil. Yesterday I used a really cheap induction unit and at 1000 watts it was still boiling great. The 'kettle' is insulated with foam wrapped round with bungee cords which probably makes a difference.

When using my all in one (Brewster Beacon) I set to boil @2500w and when it's boiling turn it down to 1300w and it holds a rolling boil with no probs.

Latest posts

Back