Kilner Jars (Or Similar)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanhead

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I can various sized kilner jars (or similar) from?

My local supermarket only has one size and my local kitchenware shop has them extortionately priced.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers.

Wilko's sell them in various sizes (usually right next to the home brew equipment ;) ).

:doh: Their prices look good, but just realised Dunelm Mill stock them and have a sale on as well :thumb:

Cheers Redcar

Almost certainly also The Range, for peeps who have that but not the others mentioned.
My local hardware place in the market has them, but he's put his lease up for sale, all the homebrew stuff is gone apart from 3 tubs of citric and a bunch of locks and bungs. Sad day.

Ikea sell them, supposedly for reasonable prices, hobbycraft are a bit more expensive, morrison's usually has a decent range.

Brewtrog said:
Ikea sell them, supposedly for reasonable prices

I had a look round online and Ikea's 1.8L/3pt jar is the best value kilner jar I've found so far. They're £2 and I use them for sloe gin, as I have a rotation system going: each autumn I make up one jar of gin (1L gin, 250g sugar, 550g sloes) and leave it for four years before bottling. I'm gradually increasing that (i.e. at present I do two jars each year) and eventually will get it to about 8 years steeping, at which point I'll have 2 gallons of the stuff on the go at any one time.

That said, if you're wanting to make rumtopf you will need a bigger kilner jar. My current batch is in a 1.8L jar, and really needs to be in a 3L one.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
Brewtrog said:
Ikea sell them, supposedly for reasonable prices

I had a look round online and Ikea's 1.8L/3pt jar is the best value kilner jar I've found so far. They're £2 and I use them for sloe gin, as I have a rotation system going: each autumn I make up one jar of gin (1L gin, 250g sugar, 550g sloes) and leave it for four years before bottling. I'm gradually increasing that (i.e. at present I do two jars each year) and eventually will get it to about 8 years steeping, at which point I'll have 2 gallons of the stuff on the go at any one time.

That said, if you're wanting to make rumtopf you will need a bigger kilner jar. My current batch is in a 1.8L jar, and really needs to be in a 3L one.

From my experience of the IKEA ones I'd avoid them. I picked up a couple in Dunelm Mill on the weekend - 2l Kilner was around £2.30 and a 3l for £3.99 :thumb:

Hawks said:
From my experience of the IKEA ones I'd avoid them.

This isn't a very useful comment without clarity as to what your experience actually was.

I can recommend Ikea ones, I've been using them for a couple of years now and they have long outlasted the Dunelm Mill ones I bought before them. The wire on the Dunelm ones slipped when I closed them making the seal very ropey, and shortly after the rubber seals died.

:hat:

narmour said:
Hawks said:
From my experience of the IKEA ones I'd avoid them.

This isn't a very useful comment without clarity as to what your experience actually was.

I can recommend Ikea ones, I've been using them for a couple of years now and they have long outlasted the Dunelm Mill ones I bought before them. The wire on the Dunelm ones slipped when I closed them making the seal very ropey, and shortly after the rubber seals died.

:hat:

That's pretty much what happened to my IKEA ones - the clips just broke. Although the seal lasted quite well ( but IMHO I think the Kilner ones seal better and you can buy packs of seals ).

Dunelm do sell various makes - the only ones I buy now are Kilner and Parfait

The only problem I've ever had with the Ikea ones is that the wire clip broke on one, but that's just one out of 25 jars, and it was a jar I'd had for at least a decade. I use the jar for storing my allotment seeds in now.

I must have just been unlucky - bought two and they both broke within 12 months

Latest posts

Back