King Keg frothy beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandozer

Reaction score
Well my first brew in the keg was a total success, apart from have excess froth in the ale. My pressures were low and i was going through a CO2 bulb every couple of pints. I read somewhere that lead length to the tap was often the problem. I added around 4 feet of tubing, resealed, pressurised and found absolutely no difference to the froth.

Then read on here that the "O" ring to the beer feed connector on the tap may be the problem. So have finally emptied the barrel, around a gallon into bottles !

When I had the barrel empty, I turned the tap off and blew into the beer pickup tube. Sure enough there was a massive leak inside the barrel on that particular "O" ring. This meant the CO2 had a quick route to the tap nozzle, bypassing the beer pickup. ERGO.. FROTH !!!

I have a selection of "O" rings so no problem replacing. I did find that the 2mm "O" ring easy to fit and it works with no leak. However I was not happy with the lateral play on it. So I fitted a 2.5mm "O" ring, bit of a push to fit but it does fit snuggly. Of course it still allows joint rotation.
The last thing I will add, was that the original "O" ring had a kink in it looking like it had not been fitted properly.
Thanks to the original post on the leaky "O" ring I must find and thank the member involved.
Original post from kelper

Last edited:
Well my first brew in the keg was a total success, apart from have excess froth in the ale. My pressures were low and i was going through a CO2 bulb every couple of pints. I read somewhere that lead length to the tap was often the problem. I added around 4 feet of tubing, resealed, pressurised and found absolutely no difference to the froth.

Then read on here that the "O" ring to the beer feed connector on the tap may be the problem. So have finally emptied the barrel, around a gallon into bottles !

When I had the barrel empty, I turned the tap off and blew into the beer pickup tube. Sure enough there was a massive leak inside the barrel on that particular "O" ring. This meant the CO2 had a quick route to the tap nozzle, bypassing the beer pickup. ERGO.. FROTH !!!

I have a selection of "O" rings so no problem replacing. I did find that the 2mm "O" ring easy to fit and it works with no leak. However I was not happy with the lateral play on it. So I fitted a 2.5mm "O" ring, bit of a push to fit but it does fit snuggly. Of course it still allows joint rotation.
The last thing I will add, was that the original "O" ring had a kink in it looking like it had not been fitted properly.
Thanks to the original post on the leaky "O" ring I must find and thank the member involved.
Original post from kelper
Just as a post script to this, I recently suffered from gassy beer with my bottom tapped King Keg that I fitted a float and tube to. The float was the cylindrical type (not the pingpong ball type) and the float had managed to pull the tube entry above the beer surface! Fortunately I had a spare pingpong float handy and after changing I had no further problems.

Latest posts

Back