King Keg Kegerator Setup - what do I need?

Discussion in 'General Home Brew Equipment Discussion' started by conorm, Jun 29, 2012.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jun 29, 2012 #1

conorm

conorm

conorm

Apart from the obvious... what is the minimum I need for a kegerator setup? Sick of warm, foamy beer... temp in garage is perfect in winter but not in summer!!

First question, will a king keg (with co2 bulb fitted) fit in a standard under counter fridge (with shelving removed of course)? I'm assuming it wont fit in to one with an icebox. Width and depth should be ok?

I'm thinking of this:

King Keg - 1 meter of 3/8" hose fitted to the standard drum tap (with jubilee clip). I know the diameter of the nozzle on the tap is more like 5/8", but a bit of hot water and gentle persuasion should be enough. I have a 1/2" garden hose on it at the minute to reduce foaming, was easy enough to fit.

http://www.homebrewmegastore.co.uk/shop ... -pipe.html

leading to a 3/8" to 5/16" reducer then a meter of 5/16" hose

http://www.homebrewmegastore.co.uk/shop ... ector.html
    http://www.homebrewmegastore.co.uk/shop ... -pipe.html

leading to a 3/16" plastic Dalex tap fitted to the door.
    http://www.homebrewmegastore.co.uk/shop/dalex-tap.html

Is that it??!!! Not seen any Dalex taps (or similar) with 3/8" fitting. If you don't think I could get the 3/8" hose over the drum tap, can I get 1/2" or 3/4" line and reduce it to 5/16" for the Dalex tap?

Emphasis is on cheap and simple. I have a fresh brew in the keg so keen to use the existing drum tap so I can convert without having to wait between batches.

Many thanks :)

2. Jun 30, 2012 #2

Vossy1

Vossy1

Vossy1

Landlord.

No idea, they're all different, but you will be able to get a fridge that does take it and probably free too :cool:
    Before buying any lines I'd be tempted to try with just 3/8th as the colder beer is less likely to foam anyway. The lines/lengths to use will depend on your carbonation, if carbed to low levels say 3psi you can just use 3/8th, higher pressure and you will have to start to think about reducing the size from 3/8 to 3/16 probably.
    3/8th is very stiff, I think you'll struggle to get it on the drum tap, I don't have one handy so don't know the size.
    Fridge/barrel/controller for fridge as fridge temps are too cold.

3. Jun 30, 2012 #3

conorm

conorm

conorm

Cheers. Got measurements of keg and should fit in a larder fridge easily enough, going by the fridge I have. Hopefully getting one today off gumtree for 20.

Flatmate is a electronic engineer and he will work his magic with the temp control :)

4. Jun 30, 2012 #4

Vossy1

Vossy1

Vossy1

Landlord.

Sounds like you'll be enjoying a nice cold pint in no time :cool: :drink:

5. Jun 30, 2012 #5

conorm

conorm

conorm

Missed out on the fridge... will have to try again. Down to my last few bottles of IPA so need the chiller to take over asap!! It's a long summer...

6. Jul 1, 2012 #6

Kevin Wood

Kevin Wood

Kevin Wood

I have my King Keg in the fridge at the moment. Set the 'fridge to 8 degrees C and once the beer's in the glass and being consumed the temperature and condition is spot on. It's a fairly light summery beer, though. Might need to have it a bit warmer for a more traditional ale. Luckily my 'fridge has a digital temperature controller that covers quite a wide range so no modifications required there.

I would probably keep it simple and use the tap on the Keg. OK,you have to open the 'fridge door to pour a pint but I would worry about the plumbing slipping off the keg tap and filling the 'fridge with beer otherwise.

In addition to that, my King Keg tap leaks a little from around the knob when open. Not a problem if pouring straight from the tap but it would need to be better sealed in your setup.