King keg leak

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Buffers brewery,

I love your mods to get the barrel into your fridge, quality clapa
I blocked off the original pressure relief valve with a 3mm drill blank and some bearing lock.
The bearing lock fluid sets ultra hard, gives a great seal and the drill blank is going nowhere!

Cheers, Pete

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and just getting back into brewing after many years away.
Got myself a bottom tap King keg. As an engineer and years ago having all sorts of leak problems with a Rotokeg, I thought I would address potential problems before starting my first brew.
I have fitted a car type valve and a 0 to 30 psi pressure gauge to the cap.
I have half filled it with water then slowly pressurised the keg, applying soapy bubbles around everywhere looking for leaks.
All my mods are good at 15 psi, but the pressure release valve is leaking after 2 psi!
I have carefully eased back the rubber ring and applied some petroleum jelly but it is still leaking.

As an engineer, the rubber band method of pressure control is a joke. I am tempted to block the hole and fit a separate spring operated pressure relief valve that operates between 10 and 15 psi.
This in my mind, please correct me if I'm wrong, would be a proper fix, but I'm not so confident of finding a suitable pressure relief valve.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Pete
Pete, would it be possible to get a prv in the center hole in the cap?

Back