King Keg leak.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perrin_Abara

Reaction score
I think I’ve read/watched everything I can find about king kegs. I cannot for the life of me get mine to hold pressure. I’ve changed to squared o seal, tried the ptfe etc. Sprayed soapy to find the leak and it’s coming from the o ring.

I have noticed the cap does not look like it’s on straight. It could’ve been like that since purchase or maybe I’ve cross threaded it so I fear it could Be permanently damaged?

Hi @Perrin_Abara can you get a picture of the cap on the barrel from the side?
You say the leak is from the O ring. Is that the one inside the S30 valve? Leaks on King Kegs in my experience are most likely from the rubber band pressure relief valve, the rubber band non-return valve under the cap or the rubber washer between the cap and S30 valve.

Hi @Perrin_Abara can you get a picture of the cap on the barrel from the side?
You say the leak is from the O ring. Is that the one inside the S30 valve? Leaks on King Kegs in my experience are most likely from the rubber band pressure relief valve, the rubber band non-return valve under the cap or the rubber washer between the cap and S30 valve.

Attachments

• F6655BAA-3B9B-4BE3-8F80-F61A1AAA50DA.jpeg
    F6655BAA-3B9B-4BE3-8F80-F61A1AAA50DA.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 67
The lid looks wonky and it won’t go on any differently. it’s definitely the o ring I the lid where the air is coming from.

Ooerr that lid is on the cock! Sorry for the obvious questions but, have you inspected the threads in both the cap and barrel neck for damage? There was a member on here a year or so ago that had a very loosely threaded lid that kept jumping on the cock (technical term) like yours.
As for the O ring leaking, this will only leak when your injecting gas from a cylinder or bulb. If there's a leak from the inlet hole, that will be the rubber band non-return valve on the underside of the lid. Inspect the rubber for splits and make sure it's seated properly on the stem by giving it a little twist.

Last edited:
Ooerr that lid is in the cock! Sorry for the obvious questions but, have you inspected the threads in both the cap and barrel neck for damage? There was a member on here a year or so ago that had a very loosely threaded lid that kept jumping on the cock (technical term) like yours.
As for the O ring leaking, this will only leak when your injecting gas from a cylinder or bulb. If there's a leak from the inlet hole, that will be the rubber band non-return valve on the underside of the lid. Inspect the rubber for splits and make sure it's seated properly on the stem by giving it a little twist.

Yes, in reference to jumping the cock, my lid seems to be doing it also. Should I, purchase a new lid or is it the barrel at fault?

Just had a look at one of my King Kegs. The keg thread looks like this...
7EF9EF2F-B096-4DF8-9116-806F87213482.jpeg

..so you can see the barrel material has created a full thread form. It is possible that the thread form is incomplete or has shrunk after moulding producing a smaller neck. Measuring across the neck from the top of the threads the diameter of mine is 114mm.
Looking at the cap thread...
166F9900-8683-4DA1-9CA8-289F16A46C72.jpeg

..again you can see the thread form is nice and sharp indicating a full moulding. It is unlikely that the cap is too large IMO.

Sounds like you’ve got a faulty barrel to me. I assume this is the first time you’ve used this barrel?

It is my first time with this barrel. I’m gonna bottle this batch and liaise with brew2bottle for some potential remedies or a refund. Maybe if King Keg themselves could be arsed to carry out some quality control checks then less people would have issues. I’ve been reading a lot about manufacturers imperfections.

I've got a KK with exactly the same problem mate. The lid screws on straight, then when you inject some CO2 the lid jumps up on one side. I tried a new cap, even removed 4mm off the keg neck, and then spent a few hours getting it lovely and smooth, and flat, but still jumped. The only way i got it to hold pressure was to tighten it up by hand only, and then it wasn't very reliable. Adding more PTFE tape didnt solve it. Adding another big cap O ring helped (so i've got a standard washer on top of a flat profile washer) I tend not to use the Keg anymore, just not worth the risk. Good for storing bits in.

Ditto, my KK has the same issue, if I screw it on carefully I can eventually get to fit properly but most time it ends up wonky and not sealing.

I also don't use my KK any more, too many issue with them - sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Yeah its gotta be a QC issue, as i've got 3 KKs and this is the only one i have that problem with. I really dont know what the answer to this one is. I might have another look at it, and let you know how i get on. Mines not as wonky as Perrins, in fact its very subtle. You can just see it lift slightly when pressurized. Seems to hold below 4 psi, any higher and it WONKS !

Last edited:
I've got a KK with exactly the same problem mate. The lid screws on straight, then when you inject some CO2 the lid jumps up on one side. I tried a new cap, even removed 4mm off the keg neck, and then spent a few hours getting it lovely and smooth, and flat, but still jumped. The only way i got it to hold pressure was to tighten it up by ha
16b0a603-0cb1-4e89-af80-2a9bc3f2ebf5.jpg
nd only, and then it wasn't very reliable. Adding more PTFE tape didnt solve it. Adding another big cap O ring helped (so i've got a standard washer on top of a flat profile washer) I tend not to use the Keg anymore, just not worth the risk. Good for storing bits in.
There is a gentlemen on here who has engineered a contraption and had a couple for sale. Hopefully this will sort it out. I do eventually want to move on to the corny kegs

Back