Kit brewing advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"What's wrong with just dunking the hydrometer into the fermenter? No waste at all. It's all I ever do.
Good point, but if there is a thick krausen or the FV has a narrow neck?
You squirt a bit of star San at it to displace foam. I'm like Carlos the Jackal when it comes to squirt bottles - this is no idle boast. I don't buy fly spray any more, I literally blast them with a squirt of star san, pick them up the by the wing and throw them out the window. Genuinely. I'm a squeegee Scaramanga.

Honestly. You cross me and you're going to be going "Well this cup of tea tastes a bit tart."

Last edited:
Hi guys
I'm returning to homebrewing after an 8 year gap. I've only ever brewed beer kits in the past and have always followed the manufacturers instructions enclosed. I've got 5 brew buckets so after a bit of researching beer kits I've ordered 5 beer kits which are on the way in the post. They are:
Festival Razorback, Woodfordes Wherry, Youngs American IPA, Coopers Sparkling Ale and Muntons Premium Gold Midas Touch Golden Ale.
What are your views on the kits and any recommendations on alterations to the manufacturers instructions?
Thanks guys
Kind regards
Don
Tipperary
Ireland
The razorback and youngs ipa are both amazing for kit beers probably the best I've done especially the youngs ipa, it's a cracking pint and you only need a few to get merry 😁

Dropping the hydrometer into the fv may do away with any worries about wasting beer, but it won't be easy to get an accurate reading.
My FV is on a worktop and putting the hydrometer directly in the FV makes it much easier to read; it also has no bubbles attached so will be more accurate. I give the wort a gentle stir with the hydrometer to make a small, clear area.

What's wrong with just dunking the hydrometer into the fermenter? No waste at all. It's all I ever do.

Cheers. Tom
After a couple of brews ruined through infection and/or oxidation I fitted a tap to my main FV obviating the need to ever remove the lid before bottling (unless dry hopping) and also enabling bottling with a wand and avoiding clumsy siphoning which I understand can cause oxidation. I also find it easier to see the hydrometer reading in a sample jar and of course there is no rush with that exercise as the lid has never been taken off.

In a demijohn, the less headroom the easier it is to get the hydrometer out again! In a bucket type FV it does not matter. I would like a square trial jar so you're not looking through curved glass.

By not checking the gravity until there's no airlock activity - and of course not checking until 2 weeks have passed.
ahh well I can see the point of not checking until no airlock activity, but one often sees posts that suggest the 2 week rule is for beginners (I am one) and that by checking gravity daily after airlock activity has ceased the 2 week rule can often be shortened, I was just suggesting that this could waste a lot of beer on a small batch.

After a couple of brews ruined through infection and/or oxidation I fitted a tap to my main FV obviating the need to ever remove the lid before bottling (unless dry hopping) and also enabling bottling with a wand and avoiding clumsy siphoning which I understand can cause oxidation. I also find it easier to see the hydrometer reading in a sample jar and of course there is no rush with that exercise as the lid has never been taken off.
My FV's all have taps and that is how I have been checking, I just find it distressing seeing the level of beer going down ;)

"What's wrong with just dunking the hydrometer into the fermenter? No waste at all. It's all I ever do.

You squirt a bit of star San at it to displace foam. I'm like Carlos the Jackal when it comes to squirt bottles - this is no idle boast. I don't buy fly spray any more, I literally blast them with a squirt of star san, pick them up the by the wing and throw them out the window. Genuinely. I'm a squeegee Scaramanga.

Honestly. You cross me and you're going to be going "Well this cup of tea tastes a bit tart."
Now I like the fly killer idea, I have found fly spray fairly ineffective these days, must be EU regulations or something but there are some flies that it has zero affect on, I am going to try the starsan.

My FV's all have taps and that is how I have been checking, I just find it distressing seeing the level of beer going down ;)
It is galling to see the level going down but I take the view that losing a bottle's worth in samples along the way is preferable to potentially having to dump the whole batch.😁

I brew in a King Keg with a high tap. its easy to run off a small amount of beer to check OG and to see if its beginning to clear with minimum chance of contamination. I often leave it for 3 weeks before bottling to minimise rubbish getting into the bottles

Latest posts

Back