Kit Brewing Guide for 1st Time Brewers. Beer and Ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello mate

Glad you got all the bits you needed to start brewing again.

It shouldn't matter too much as I met the owner of the Round Tower brewery in Chelmsford and he doesn't actually treat any of his water and he is a commercial brewer, you might find it just tastes a little different to using bottled water.

My usual time scale for brewing was allowing 14 days for fermentation, into a secondary ferment for 14 - 28 days and then bottle conditioned for 28 days before opening the first of the brew. It means you have to wait longer but it tastes better straight off the bat.

Best of luck with the brew.

Kyle_T

Kyle_T said:
Hello mate

Glad you got all the bits you needed to start brewing again.

It shouldn't matter too much as I met the owner of the Round Tower brewery in Chelmsford and he doesn't actually treat any of his water and he is a commercial brewer, you might find it just tastes a little different to using bottled water.

My usual time scale for brewing was allowing 14 days for fermentation, into a secondary ferment for 14 - 28 days and then bottle conditioned for 28 days before opening the first of the brew. It means you have to wait longer but it tastes better straight off the bat.

Best of luck with the brew.

Kyle_T

Cheers m8,
Looked at my two batches (1 day apart) one is up by nearly 2.C than the other.

After looking at fantastic work by Mark at homebrew builder.co.uk and a fantastic reception from him with top advice I am looking at the HERMS or RIMS and hopefully will of made my mind up by Jan 14 on what system I will go for...
Looking at no more than 50L batches and the whole setup to be mobile not static.
The only problem is I only have a outside garden hose tap, as the kitchen isn't set up to allow hose adapters etc.
Once I decide Mark is going to knock up a all whistles and bells setup, money well invested I think :cheers:
ATB
Bri

I run a 50L SS pot and a 55L mash tun for my brewing and that is more than enough for a 23 L brew or 2 batches of a 20L brew than gives me room to experiment between the 2.

Never looked into RIMS or HERMS before myself. As for using tap water it isn't an issue because you can buy Campden Tablets that neutralise the chlorine in the water and I've never had a batch go wrong this way.

Kyle_T

Kyle_T said:
I run a 50L SS pot and a 55L mash tun for my brewing and that is more than enough for a 23 L brew or 2 batches of a 20L brew than gives me room to experiment between the 2.

Never looked into RIMS or HERMS before myself. As for using tap water it isn't an issue because you can buy Campden Tablets that neutralise the chlorine in the water and I've never had a batch go wrong this way.

Kyle_T

Cheers again m8.
Gotta get me some campden tablets.
2x 20 litre brews sounds interesting m8 ;)
ATB
Bri

Well best of luck.

It's more a 40L brew split into 2 x 20L brews as it's all made from one amount of grain. It's useful for testing the same recipe with different hop combinations and if it goes wrong you don loose 40L of liquid gold.

I've just followed this post word for word for coopers English Bitter(Apart from the treacle)
Its been great apart from when I mixed the sugar (brew enhancer 2) with the wort,I did it as quickly as possible
but found that it clumped and dried very quickly,so I had to add half of the boiled water, in the stock pot to mix
it in properly.
I then chose to rehydrate my yeast,in which I did at 25C ,I had too as it had been 25min since I put it in the
cooled water. I would have liked to have been cooler but this was my 2nd attempt with your method.
I did find it better than my previous brews but I'd definitely put more boiled water in with the wort before
adding the sugar and next time I'd start rehydrating my yeast when my FV is full to 20litres,but otherwise very good ;)

Latest posts

Back