Klarstein 25L Maischfest Mash Kettle Overheating - Element Fault?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skodaexploder

Reaction score
I have been using a 25L Klarstein Maischfest Mash Kettle Mash Tank since 2018, probably done a dozen of so brews. Then I had an overheating issue which was for some time worked around by manually holding the thermal cut-out reset button (on underside). Then finally this trick resulted in the thermal safety fuse blowing and tripped the electrics and could not be reset. The actual heating element(s) look damaged. I bought a new fuse, and new thermal cut-out switch, rewired the electrics but on first re-use the system tripped again within a few minutes and so I think it is the actual heating elements causing this which have been damaged in the overheating.

I've put a photo in the media section (sorry I'm not sure how to post a picture to a post)

Does anyone have any experience of this, or have a suggestion to fix this please?

I am looking to buy a replacement boiler/brew kettle. I think the problem with the 25L Klarstein is there is a build up of heat directly above the heating element under the grain filter and that there is so little movement of liquid at this point that heat is concentrated in this area, causes the tripping out issue. On draining the boiler then is always a large deposit of burnt on material that needs serious scouring. So a wider boiler with a more flexible grain bag (rather than a stainless steel filter cage) may be better. Hopefully folks on this forum can help with some suggestions.

sssss.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for you - how spotlessly clean is the bottom of your boiler? Before I used mine I read a thread where someone stressed that any build up of burnt on wort became an issue for him and resulted in a trip out.

Since reading that I have kept the base of my Klarstein spotless (I wash it out and scrub it with a soft sponge and loads of white vinegar - be sure not to scratch the base or you just make it easier for the base to get burnt). Never had any issues myself, but I'm probably only on my 6th or 8th brew in it. Still nice and clean though.
IMG_20210506_143055.jpg

I have a klarstein fullhorn, 2 things i do as soon as it hits the boil i turn it down to 1600w no2 i do as crowcrow does i always clean the bottom, i have done well over 20 brews in it with no problms

Thanks for the comments. Yes the issue was with build up of solid deposits. The base was clean but after every brew the deposits would need intense cleaning off. I think the element is the issue and this is permanently bonded to the base and so no way to replace.
I'm sticking with a BIAB type process and looking at a 40L Grainfather sparge heater that can be adapted for BIAB (can do the rolling boil etc...).
The Klarstein will have to be recycled somehow. Shame because the controller on this was pretty good. The Grainfather is purely a switch and dial.

I’ve got very similar issue , I was thinking to punch a hole and install a heating element it’s to expensive to be recycled 😔

I bit the bullet (relatively) and went for a Grainfather sparge boiler and BIAB from The Malt Miller. Seems OK so far (2 brews done) and trying to keep meticulously clean after the boil. Kettle is not as controllable as Klarstein and only single walled. Shame about the Klarstein yes I thought about the kettle element insertion. Let me know how you get on. The Klarstein is gathering dust in the loft atm.

Oh my goodness yes - that heating element looks definitely damaged... I've never seen anything like that: it seems to have actually melted the casing ashock1

Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 09.08.43.png

Whilst deposits on the inside of the kettle could cause the element to run hot, I think they would have to be very severe indeed to cause it to overheat to this extent. My hunch in this case is that the element has either come un-bonded from the base of the kettle, or there is a failure in the element itself leading to one part of it getting a very severe hotspot.

The Klarstein is gathering dust in the loft atm

If I were you, I would send the above photo to Klarstein - even though you have had the unit since 2018 - and ask them whether they have seen anything similar... if you're very lucky they might offer you a discount on something new?

Back