Klarstein Füllhorn - vorlauf sparge, etc. am i getting it.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyroyale

Reaction score
hi All, long time lurker, i’d appreciate your advice

So i’ve had a break from home brew for a while. My last efforts were limited to extract brewing a couple of years ago. Ive decided to go BIAB which i thought was going to be pretty simple. However, it seems i need a bigger pot (current extract pot is 15L) and burner, gas or electric or a boiler. It seems I may as well spend a few more quid and go for a brew system, i already have a coil chiller and large grain bags so it seems the Klarstein Füllhorn fits the bill ( scuse the pun).

Just before i hit the buy button i just want to get things straight. this is my understanding of how it might work-

step 1 - mash grain in big bag within Klarstein.
step 2 - vorlauf a bit by drawing off a few jugs of wort and pouring back through mash.
step 3 - remove mash bag and hang it over my hitherto unused pot and sparge with a few jugs of hot water ( temp and volume of water as yet undetermined)
step 4 - combine sparge and wort back into Klarstein to boil and proceed with recipe.

ive read through lots of material, used Brewers friend to calculate the recipe ( basically a SMaSH with a little caramel malt) but aiming for reasonble strength of 6%, the grain bill is 5kg for a 20l FV batch.

My queries are -
1- is it ok to do the vorlauf and sparge as stated, as it’s pre boil the movement/transfer of the wort is irrelevant?
2 - do i understand the vorlauf and sparge terms correctly?
3 - is the Klarstein boiler going to serve my purposes?

reading this it seems i may have jumped from extract to all- grain and missed out the BIAB.

any advice most welcome. please point out my ignorance and mistakes.

ATB.

You can BIAB in the Fullhorn, I have just ordered one, watch this video where a guy does that, actually he doesn't use a Fullhorn its the slightly cheaper sister that has no LCD thermometer, see if this answers any of your doubts Video

I used to have a version of that sold by a company called ACE (before they went bump). I modified mine heavily though as vorlaufing took too long (it isn't actually essential in BIAB by the way). If you do a mash out, you can skip sparging completely by the way, if you wish to.

IMG_20180407_121012.jpg

My advice is, if your budget can stretch to it, go straight to buying something like a brewdevil/brewmonk/hopcat/robobrew... I ended up building my own eBIAB eventually using a stock pot, but now am waiting for the cash to buy a machine to make life easier.

BIAB at it's simplest though, mash your grain in the bag (with or without a mash out), lift it and let it drain into the boiler really well. Boil wort. It's worth investing a in a few books though, check out the books section on here for recommendations and reviews.

Back