Klarstein Garkeller Pro Fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like @LeeH the "dump" valve just doesn't look up to the job on the Klarstein. You can get it without for £140 cheaper and take the risk you'll not have sediment higher than the "racking" valve (otherwise you must resort to a syphon to rack the beer out). But the cone looks quite a bit shallower than the "recommended" (where?) conical fermenter "cone".

I have the "Grainfather" conical; its quite a bit more money but includes temperature (hot and cold) control and built-in insulation.

The SS Brewtech models look fine bits of kit, but remember temperature control and insulation is (quite a chunk) extra. And internal cooling coils are a pain if you want to use a spoon for aeration.

I did look at the GF conical but after the outlay on the GF connect I'm trying to make it more palatable with a cheaper option. I do want good temp control but I guess I have to spend proper money for all the bells and whistles...

Cheap but out of stock.
Aye, and will probably stay out of stock until September because of their annual summer break? But Klarstein maybe are sensitive to criticism and I've seen suggestions that they are likely to redesign the dump valve? But at the price it is offered at it could be worth retro-fitting your own "improvements" if that way inclined, or else work arounds (both my conicals, the big 'un has 1/2" BSP dump port, should be partially purged after 3-4 days to prevent sediment concreating on the valve).

But no options here make me regret having the GF conical, but that is a bit pricey. But when I got my other conical (the big 'un) there wasn't all these low cost options and the price of that puts cost into perspective a bit! Had to fit it with my own temperature control and insulation too.

Interesting... The thing is I don't have the ability or tools to retrofit anything but I really want to have temperature control. I can just about stretch to the GF Conical FV but no way can I get the glycol chiller. I might look out for a fridge with mods to store it in the garage. I want to make sure I have consistent temperature year round.

Interesting... The thing is I don't have the ability or tools to retrofit anything but I really want to have temperature control. I can just about stretch to the GF Conical FV but no way can I get the glycol chiller. I might look out for a fridge with mods to store it in the garage. I want to make sure I have consistent temperature year round.
A glycol chiller? I'd have no use for such an expensive item either. I'll use a "shelf cooler" or even just a bucket of cold water (GF do a small pump and pipe assembly for their fermenter - but don't make it obvious 'cos I guess they like selling glycol chillers!).

Latest posts

Back