Klarstein Maischfest Profile?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naifud

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been hanging around on the sidelines trying to learn more brewing tips, i've just started all grain brewing and made about 5 batches so far.
I was wondering if anybody could give me some help on creating an equipment profile in Brewfather for my Klarstein kettle? I've watched a YouTube video and tried to do this myself, but I'm finding it a bit difficult.
Any help appreciated.

I've set up a profile for my Klarstein Maischfest on brewers friend. I've done some tinkering with the figures over the past few batches and seem to have dialed it in now, managing to get the desired volume into the FV. I'll send a screenshot of I can but in the meantime, what figures are you needing?

Would love to see the screenshot too. I started playing before but gave up in the end.

A screen shot would be great. I think I have done something wrong, cos the last batch Brewfather told me to add more water after the mash (to reach boil volume). However, my starting gravity was then way below the recipe figures. Attached is a screenshot of my profile as I have it now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211019-203950_Brewfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-203950_Brewfather.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 151
Here you go, a couple of screenshots of my profile. Hope it helps.

I've never attempted a full volume mash. I usually sparge with a plastic colander over the grain basket, but last brew, I drained the first wort into my FV, then added all my sparge water to the Klarstein and brought it to temperature. I then 'dunked' the grain basket 5 or 6 times, stirring and draining with each cycle. I then poured the first wort from the FV into the Klarstein to begin the boil. It didn't actually improve my efficiency any more though!

I've got the boil off at 5L/hr because I do my boil with the 3000W element on, so it's a vigorous boil. I find that the 1500W element alone doesn't maintain a good rolling boil. A couple of brews made me realise how much was being boiled off.

I calculated the Mash Thickness of 3.6L/kg, based on the dead space below the grain basket, plus the void between the basket and the inside wall of the Klarstein - kinda just scaled up from a standard mash thickness of 2.5L/kg.

What I would say though, is that my efficiencies seem to be in the 68% to 70% range. Could be a mash thickness thing, a sparging thing...I don't know. I am 'recirculating' by draining off 1.5L of wort during the mash and pouring it into the mash, maybe every 10 minutes. Any tips would be appreciated, but at the end of the day, I'm still making good beer!

1634674799200.png

1634674873263.png

Hi i have a klarstein fullhorn which i now use as a hlt i did all my boils on the 1600w setting with no problems, you don't need a vigorous boil, in the warmer months of summer i even used it on 900w a gentle simmer as long as there are bubbles it's ok

I've never attempted a full volume mash. I usually sparge with a plastic colander over the grain basket, but last brew, I drained the first wort into my FV, then added all my sparge water to the Klarstein and brought it to temperature. I then 'dunked' the grain basket 5 or 6 times, stirring and draining with each cycle. I then poured the first wort from the FV into the Klarstein to begin the boil. It didn't actually improve my efficiency any more though!

I've got the boil off at 5L/hr because I do my boil with the 3000W element on, so it's a vigorous boil. I find that the 1500W element alone doesn't maintain a good rolling boil. A couple of brews made me realise how much was being boiled off.

I calculated the Mash Thickness of 3.6L/kg, based on the dead space below the grain basket, plus the void between the basket and the inside wall of the Klarstein - kinda just scaled up from a standard mash thickness of 2.5L/kg.

What I would say though, is that my efficiencies seem to be in the 68% to 70% range. Could be a mash thickness thing, a sparging thing...I don't know. I am 'recirculating' by draining off 1.5L of wort during the mash and pouring it into the mash, maybe every 10 minutes. Any tips would be appreciated, but at the end of the day, I'm still making good beer!
Thanks for the info, the Brewfather profile editor looks a little different but I will try to replicate what you have. I find if I set the temp on the Klarstein at 102C, the 1500W setting gives me a good boil. I also use the same method of recirculating as you. I really struggle to hit OG values quoted in recipes, I'm not sure if it's the kettle or me being a Noob!
thanks for the help, hopefully I will get the Klarstein and my process dialled in and I get even better tasting beer.

I've found that on the 1500W setting, it's not holding a rolling boil for me - just a gentle ripple on the surface. Maybe that's enough and I'm over-cooking it, but I've got the volumes spot on now, so I just kept it like that. If you're managing to maintain a good boil on the 1500W element, your boil-off might not be as much as 5L/hr.

I don't tend to hit OG's either - if I'm getting the volume I want into the FV with 0.5% to 1% ABV less, I'm OK with that. For me, it's more about good tasting beer than strength.

View attachment 56003
View attachment 56004
What software is this?

Hi all, new to the forum and relatively new to home brewing. Just purchased a 2nd hand Maishfeist and wondered how similar it is to the Anvil Forge 240v. The manual for the former is far more comprehensive and credible, plus profiles already exist on brewing software. Any thoughts?

I have a 25L Maischfest, and to be honest I'm struggling to set a profile for it. I know I lose 2 litres at the bottom ( below the tap) and my boil off seems to be around 2.5 l/hr. Deadspace and all th rest are a mystery to me.
Used to struggle to reach pre boil gravity in recipes, but now I've started doing overnight mashes after reading other Klarstein owners forum posts.
Overall, I am pleased with the Maischfest though.

I have a 25L Maischfest, and to be honest I'm struggling to set a profile for it. I know I lose 2 litres at the bottom ( below the tap) and my boil off seems to be around 2.5 l/hr. Deadspace and all th rest are a mystery to me.
Used to struggle to reach pre boil gravity in recipes, but now I've started doing overnight mashes after reading other Klarstein owners forum posts.
Overall, I am pleased with the Maischfest though.
I am going to try the Anvil Foundry equipment profile in BeerSmith and see how that works.
8A45A688-F61A-410E-986D-78CB37F9630D.jpeg

Thanks for the info, the Brewfather profile editor looks a little different but I will try to replicate what you have. I find if I set the temp on the Klarstein at 102C, the 1500W setting gives me a good boil. I also use the same method of recirculating as you. I really struggle to hit OG values quoted in recipes, I'm not sure if it's the kettle or me being a Noob!
thanks for the help, hopefully I will get the Klarstein and my process dialled in and I get even better tasting beer.
It is important to maintain a good rigorous boil, I am not sure on the dia of those vessels but 4 to 5 litres is what I would be looking for in a boil off rate.
Charlie Bamforth around 12.25 Can't emphasise enough a rigorous boil.

I find that my Maischfest doesn't maintain a vigorous boil on the 1500W setting - it's more like a gentle swirl. I need to keep the 3000W element on, which results in approx a 5L boil off.

I find that my Maischfest doesn't maintain a vigorous boil on the 1500W setting - it's more like a gentle swirl. I need to keep the 3000W element on, which results in approx a 5L boil off.
Mine maintains a rolling boil if i set the temp to 102C and put it on the 1500W setting - if its filled to the 25L mark and was on the 3000W setting it would be boiling over the top. I wonder if you get varying degrees of performance on different manufacturing batches of these?

Mine maintains a rolling boil if i set the temp to 102C and put it on the 1500W setting - if its filled to the 25L mark and was on the 3000W setting it would be boiling over the top. I wonder if you get varying degrees of performance on different manufacturing batches of these?
Depends where you live.

Back