Klarstein Maischfest: Step Mash??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RikkiBobbi

Reaction score
Hi all. Rare poster here but I find this place a great resource. It seems quite a few on here are using the Klarstein Maischfest and I'm now taking an interest in it myself.

I've been home brewing for about 18 months, about 15 of those using the standard igloo cooler mash tun and a 30l gas stove boiler. I think I've come about as far as I can with this setup and now desire the ability to accurately set and maintain mash Temps with an electric biab setup.

An added benefit would be the ability to perform step mashes and thus be able to try my hand at more authentic Belgian styles.

Considering the price I've taken a keen interest in a 35l klarstein Maischfest for around £229 but I've also seen the odd suggestion (might have even been on here) that it isn't suitable for step mashing. As a Biab setup with a grain basket I'm not quite sure why this would be? Does anybody have any insight into this or even attempted a step mash by just reprogramming the mash temp in steps?

Any thoughts would be most welcome before I purchase something I'd soon want to upgrade again. Cheers!

WelI, a grain basket is a stainless steel container in which you mash as opposed to a fabric one - they tend to have solid steel sides but mesh tops and bottoms - just a fancy version of a bag

I do not have a Klarstein vessel, but there are several other kits that I suggest you look at e.g, Brew Devil, BrewZilla plus several others with a similar name (all made in China to exactly the same spec but marketing under different names) in fact I believe that the Klarstein stuff is also made in China and again marketed in Klarstein's name

The other brand to look at is Grainfather

All of these brands enable you to step mash - upto 10 levels

Good luck

WelI, a grain basket is a stainless steel container in which you mash as opposed to a fabric one - they tend to have solid steel sides but mesh tops and bottoms - just a fancy version of a bag

I do not have a Klarstein vessel, but there are several other kits that I suggest you look at e.g, Brew Devil, BrewZilla plus several others with a similar name (all made in China to exactly the same spec but marketing under different names) in fact I believe that the Klarstein stuff is also made in China and again marketed in Klarstein's name

The other brand to look at is Grainfather

All of these brands enable you to step mash - upto 10 levels

Good luck
Thanks for replying! That's the issue I'm stuck with on the Klarstein - if it's using a grain basket then I can't understand why a step mash wouldn't be possible as the grain shouldn't be in direct contact with the heating elements. Perhaps it's a bitch to program or the mesh on the basket isn't enough protection from the element?

A grain father will probably be a future purchase but for now I'm just eyeing accurate mash Temps and the added bonus of simple step mashing (as opposed to attempting this with infusions in the igloo cooler).

Thanks for replying! That's the issue I'm stuck with on the Klarstein - if it's using a grain basket then I can't understand why a step mash wouldn't be possible as the grain shouldn't be in direct contact with the heating elements. Perhaps it's a bitch to program or the mesh on the basket isn't enough protection from the element?

A grain father will probably be a future purchase but for now I'm just eyeing accurate mash Temps and the added bonus of simple step mashing (as opposed to attempting this with infusions in the igloo cooler).
I don't know the Klarstein model that you are talking about, but I believe that a step mash would be possible

I used to use an old Klarstein where you could set the temp via a dial. Not very accurate but you could change it as often as you like during a mash. It has a bag similar to this Beerfest Beer Filter Accessory

The bag would hang be its handles, so the bottom of the bag was not in contact with the element (built into) the floor

I now have a Brew Devil with which you can set the temp to 0.1C via an electronic panel - which is really easy to set - you can set up to 10 stages. It has a metal basket, but I believe that the modern Klarstein's also have a metal basket

Accurate mash temps are important, but I am not sure that my mash tun is really accurate to 0.1c. The other thing, of course, is that your mash temp will not be the same throughout the vessel. Depending on the ambient temp and where the heat sensor is located, there can be as much as 3C between the top and bottom of the vessel

I think that if you want to do a step mash in one of these vessels, you will need to have some form of recirculation. Some models have this (my Grainfather does).

The reason that you need a recirculation pump/system is that the grain bed isn't very good at conducting heat, and the heater element is at the bottom. When you mash in, you stir the mash and this gets the grain bed to the same temperature throughout. The heating element just keeps it there.

If you want to do a step mash without any recirculation, then you'll just be heating the bottom of the mash and it'll be very slow to conduct the heat up the grain bed... By the end of the mash the top won't really have changed much.

If you have a recirculating pump, then the heater at the bottom heats the wort. But then the pump recirculates the hotter wort to the top of the mash bed. Gravity makes it trickle down to the bottom again heating the mash on the way through, whereupon it gets heated and pumped to the top again

Hope this helps

I've been brewing with my 25L Klarstein Maischfest for just over 2 years now and still think it's great. I assume the 35L works the same.

There is no programmable automatic step mash (unless they've changed it recently). You can do it but it means setting a timer and coming back to increase the set temperature manually.

The only grumble I have is the thermostat doesn't kick in until the temperature has dropped 4degC from your set temperature.

I'd ask if you really need a step mash function, is it something you do all the time? I might have once or twice done a short rest with wheat or oats at 55degC but that's it.

Actually I might have done a 45 & 55degC rest with a recent hefeweizen. My next brew will use heritage malt so I will do a stepped mash, but this is a rare exception.

I'd say the grain basket keeps the grain clear of the element but would advise a stir anyway during heating.

The only time I've had a scorched element was using rye, and that happened during the boil. And I've sworn I'll never use the damn stuff again!

I use a re-circ pump now during the mash. I fitted it last year (see this thread), very easy and cost maybe £30-£40. I think it keeps the grain bed at a more even temperature and should remove any concerns about scorching if you're really worried. It has also increased efficiency a bit plus I think I get clearer wort at the end.

I also have a 35l Maishfest and its a great bit of kit ,a step mash is no problem in it ,what i do is to stir the mash and also draw off a couple of two litre jugs of wort and tip these in from the top until the grain temp stabilises ,i am really pleased with mine.

Back