Klarstein Mash Kettle Help Needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s just a thought but have you tried contacting klarstein themselves. They have been very helpful in the past. It’s German and they’re very good at keeping records.

When I’ve contacted them it’s taken a couple of days to respond though. I’m sure they’ll help you out. If they haven’t y the parts they may advise on possible replacements. Only costs an email and that’s BA. as they say nothing ventured nothing gained.

When I’ve contacted them it’s taken a couple of days to respond though. I’m sure they’ll help you out. If they haven’t y the parts they may advise on possible replacements. Only costs an email and that’s BA. as they say nothing ventured nothing gained.
I think you’re right, i can’t hurt to try eh? I’ll drop them a line tomorrow and see what happens.

Brewelder. How’d you get on with your enquiries. Any joy with replacements
Apologies for not getting back sooner, been a bit busy doing jobs in the house.

Basically i didn’t get anywhere, they did get back to me and here is their reply

Beste,

Bedankt dat u contact hebt opgenomen met Klarstein.
Uw ticketnummer is: 8002933610

Wij raden u aan het mengsel te roeren wanneer het aan de kook komt. Deze maischketels gebruiken een verwarmingselement om op te warmen, dat er even over doet om in temperatuur te dalen wanneer het heet is.

Mocht u nog verdere vragen hebben, horen wij deze graag.

Wij wensen u een fijne dag.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Britney Beyonce Willems
Uw Klarstein Service Team.

Roughly translated is:

Best,

Thank you for contacting Klarstein.
Your ticket number is: 8002933610

We recommend that you stir the mixture when it comes to a boil. These mashers use a heating element to heat up, which takes a while to drop in temperature when hot.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

We wish you a nice day.

Sincerely,

Britney Beyonce Willems
Your Klarstein Service Team.

Anyway, since then i have acquired a ITC-308 temp controller, but have yet to try it out, although fingers crossed this will sort out the rapid boil issue.

I’ve just kegged the Neck Oil clone that came out of the Klarstein and i’m not happy with it at all, it’s got a very bitter taste to it. It only went into the corny last saturday so i’m just letting it sit there for a while to see if it conditions and some of the bitterness drops off. Yes, i know i’m clutching at straws, but what else can we do?

I have only just seen this thread as I have been away. To get a controllable rolling boil on a boiler equipped with the controls yours has you do NOT need another thermostat like an Inkbird. What you need is a voltage controller (like a high power light dimmer). You set the controls on your Klarstein to max and use the voltage controller to adjust the boil. A suitable unit would be something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22437089...h9LEleag++BwWnlSFeCrGHKrx1Uk|tkp:BFBMtpHNq85g
I used a similar system for years with a Buffalo boiler and it worked really well.

I have only just seen this thread as I have been away. To get a controllable rolling boil on a boiler equipped with the controls yours has you do NOT need another thermostat like an Inkbird. What you need is a voltage controller (like a high power light dimmer). You set the controls on your Klarstein to max and use the voltage controller to adjust the boil. A suitable unit would be something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22437089...h9LEleag++BwWnlSFeCrGHKrx1Uk|tkp:BFBMtpHNq85g
I used a similar system for years with a Buffalo boiler and it worked really well.
Different manufacturers but i guess they both do the same job eh? I went for the Inkbird, only cos they’re readily available and seem to be the weapon of choice by a lot of brewers.

Not sure if i mentioned, but haven’t tried it out yet so might do a dummy run just with water sometime next week as i plan to place an order for a couple of “all grain” NEIPA kits very soon.

I assume that you just set all the temps on the controller and let that take care of everything?

Different manufacturers but i guess they both do the same job eh? I went for the Inkbird, only cos they’re readily available and seem to be the weapon of choice by a lot of brewers.

Not sure if i mentioned, but haven’t tried it out yet so might do a dummy run just with water sometime next week as i plan to place an order for a couple of “all grain” NEIPA kits very soon.

I assume that you just set all the temps on the controller and let that take care of everything?
The inkbird is a thermostat , totally different from a voltage controller - it will switch your element off and on like the thermostat you already have in your boiler.

The Inkbird will switch the element on and off in order to maintain a set temperature BUT that temperature is far more precisely controlled than can be achieved using the original thermostat.

A voltage controller will allow manual control of the power applied to the element but in itself provides no temperature control at all. It really only allows some measure of control over how hot the element gets. If the only thing that was needed was a way of turning the element down a tad to reduce the vigour of the boil, a voltage controller would maybe do the job.

I’m not an electrician by any means but i do know the inkbird is very popular in the brewing fraternity and fingers crossed it will solve the issue i’m having. If it doesn’t then plan B is to go down the “All in one” route and maybe invest in a Grainfather S40, currently being sold for around the £350-£360 mark.

Another option would be to fit a smartpid.

https://smartpid.com/products/
This will digify your kettle, WiFi, has pid control which is much better for mash integrates with brewfather etc.
You could also control a pump with this at a later date.
It has voltage control for the boil. Its an easy fit. Will be cheaper than a new unit.
Been using mine on a guten 70 which is similar to brewzilla 65 for about 8 months now.

Latest posts

Back