Klarstein

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys quick question to those of you that are using these:

I understand the temperature probe is located in the bottom of the unit and during mashing the temperature can be a bit inaccurate.

Is it possible to use my Inkbird temperature probe with the Maischfest plugged into it and with power on to control temperature rather than the inbuilt controller?

So basically when you cycle the machine on/off at the mains will the element kick in? Or do you need to initiate the heating element using the programmable display?

I think no as after power off need to reprogramme to get heat going. Thing is though with a jacket on it knocked together for a couple of quid, the Maischfest will hold its temperature in the middle of the mash for an hour. I have dialed in strike temperatures based on bill and ambient temperature, jug through a good few times after doughing in to even out temperature and stick thermometer probe in middle of mash. It stays pretty consistent.

During my last brew day, the unthinkable happened and my electric kettle I've been using for mash/boil packed in half way through :(

I'm think of getting the Klarstein Fullhorn as a replacement. This one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0772WKWYZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3DC01MIVCFBA7&psc=1

From the comments on here, it seems like a decent bit of kit but I have a couple of questions for those who have used it before:

How accurate is the temperature gauge?
Can it hold temperature for an hour during the mash, or do you need to adjust?
Anyone find any off the shelf insulation stuff to help it hold temp?
Is it possible to change the fittings? Ideally I'd like to stick my chugger pump on there instead of having to connect via tubing

Sorry for the multiple questions, I get a bit OCD about mash temps, especially when making German lagers so want to make sure the kit I get can do what I want from it.

Cheers acheers.

Hi Malt Muncher, I have one, I do biab and for what I paid it is very good value and does the job, I have done 5 brews in it all turned out, I am fairly new to all grain so no expert, as far as mash temps go I I set it at 70c when it gets there it knocks off I take a reading with my probe and it is normally at 72 put the grain in mash all the dough balls out and set temp for 66 and timer on 1 hour, I also knock it down to the 900w setting when mashing put the lid on and check every 15 minutes with probe, you will it kick in if it drops below 66c so no probs so far, cleaning it is a doddle, as for chugger pumps and other mods I can't help, when it gets to the boil I have to knock it down to 1600w for a good rolling boil I tried 900w and it struggles at anything over 15l, overall I am very happy with it no complaints acheers.

Hi Malt Muncher, I have one, I do biab and for what I paid it is very good value and does the job, I have done 5 brews in it all turned out, I am fairly new to all grain so no expert, as far as mash temps go I I set it at 70c when it gets there it knocks off I take a reading with my probe and it is normally at 72 put the grain in mash all the dough balls out and set temp for 66 and timer on 1 hour, I also knock it down to the 900w setting when mashing put the lid on and check every 15 minutes with probe, you will it kick in if it drops below 66c so no probs so far, cleaning it is a doddle, as for chugger pumps and other mods I can't help, when it gets to the boil I have to knock it down to 1600w for a good rolling boil I tried 900w and it struggles at anything over 15l, overall I am very happy with it no complaints acheers.

Nice one, thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how close it controls the temp? If you set it for 66, the heater turns on and turns off when it hits 67?

To be honest I have never noticed will check next time I brew, I don't think any kit on the market would be that accurate maybe +or- 3c would be about the norm

Yeah, that's what I reckon as well. Would be pretty tough to control it to +/- 1c, but with only the low voltage heating element turned on, it might be possible. Do you have any idea how many times the heater comes on during the 60 min mash?

I think I'll go ahead and get this one. Seems pretty good, and will hopefully last a bit longer than my last one!

Last brew I did it came on twice over the hour it's not on and off like a fidlers elbow, advice now, the full line on the inside is not 30l it's 27l, on my last brew I was very close to it on full power it is a very vigorouse boil so be carful, other than that it's a great piece of kit

Last brew I did it came on twice over the hour it's not on and off like a fidlers elbow, advice now, the full line on the inside is not 30l it's 27l, on my last brew I was very close to it on full power it is a very vigorouse boil so be carful, other than that it's a great piece of kit

Cool, I think it's the same size as the one that just broke, so the size should be okay. Thanks for the advice!

Anyone know their boil off volumes with the Fullhorn? I was originally estimating 4L / hour but have done a couple of 10L batches with pre- boil volume of 14 .2 litres and have only had a boil off of 1.1 Litres with it rolling boil on 1600W, I keep it uncovered.

Anyone know their boil off volumes with the Fullhorn? I was originally estimating 4L / hour but have done a couple of 10L batches with pre- boil volume of 14 .2 litres and have only had a boil off of 1.1 Litres with it rolling boil on 1600W, I keep it uncovered.
I normally get 3.5 and 4 but with 21 and 23L batches on 1600w uncovered, hopes this helps you

Note for those considering buying, the 'max fill' line inside is actually at 27 litres. 30 litres is to the top of the kettle and while I can see that you could consider fitting that amount in there, there is no way you'd want to boil that in there.

Should be fine for the brews I have planned, but I was expecting it to be 30l to the max fill line.
Used my Fullhorn for the first time at the weekend and filled it right up to the 'Full' line. Immediately switched to just using the 1600w element when the hops went in and didn't have any issues with boil over, though I watched it like a hawk!

1600w element certainly gives a good rolling boil but the inevitable consequence is a considerable loss of wort in evaporation, probably as much as 5 ltrs. Considering using just the 900w next time to see what difference that makes. Pay off of course may whether the boil is sufficient to drive off all the 'nasties'...

I normally get 3.5 and 4 but with 21 and 23L batches on 1600w uncovered, hopes this helps you
Yes, thats around what I have been getting on other larger brews, 1.1 litre seems too low, maybe I made a mistake, only one way to find out, I suppose I could try it with just water actually for an hour and measure again. Cheers

Well I just did a boil off test, water only so may be a bit less with wort I guess, but a pre-boil volume of 15 litres had a loss of 3 litres over the hour.

Well I just did a boil off test, water only so may be a bit less with wort I guess, but a pre-boil volume of 15 litres had a loss of 3 litres over the hour.
That pretty much stacks up with my experience. 4.5 to 5 ltrs over 90 mins

Latest posts

Back