Kolsch advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Jeory

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, just ordered all the stuff to make my first ever kolsch.

I have heard that achieving floculation can be a bit of an ****. I was planning on carrying out primary and then putting my vessel outside (currently 2C to 8C) to attempt a cold crash for a week before bottling and lagering.

Does anyone have any advice on any of this as I trust the advice dished out on this forum above and beyond that of other places.

Thanks

I have a kolsch on draught right now and it cleared up nicely. I cold crash for at least a week before kegging and it works great.

I've never even drunk one before but I can tell ill like it....makes me want to book a flight to cologne!

On another note...last feb I went to Prague and the place gave me faith in Lagers (I know kolsch isn't one) again...they treat them with so much respect....you just can't get lager on draft like that over here...well not easily.

Thanks for the advice pal...and happy drinking....any chance of a pic of your kolsch?

Unfortunately right now all my beers are cloudy. I am using the kegerator to ferment my imperial stout I brewed yesterday so I've been shoving kegs all over and stirring up sediment. Sorry.

Kolsch is a fantastic beer! I'm sure you'll love it. What yeast are you using? The ones I've done have taken a while to clear and condition, but trust me it was worth it! Just hard to leave it alone long enough!

I used k-97 on the last "kolsch" I made and it took an age to clear. Which is a shame as otherwise I liked the yeast, quick to ferment and great attenuation. I imagine it, like w34/70, is used by breweries who filter their beers

The one I made was based on pre-war kolsch, which is relatively much more highly hopped than todays ones, with a level similar to altbiers at about 400g/hl , or 100g of hops per homebrew batch .

How did it taste with the k-97? I've made it with liquid yeast twice and once with lallemand koln, and the ones with liquid yeast were a lot better in my opinion. Not been too bothered by liquid yeast before but it definitely seemed to make a difference to my kolsch.

Kolsch is a fantastic beer! I'm sure you'll love it. What yeast are you using? The ones I've done have taken a while to clear and condition, but trust me it was worth it! Just hard to leave it alone long enough!

This one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210309-212235_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210309-212235_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 46
I'm sure someone will be along to tell you what that yeast is, from what I understand generally crossmyloof yeasts are repackaged other brands.

Ordered all my mats and hops from maltmiller but they didn't have the yeast I wanted and I know someone who rates crossmyloof

Hi all, just ordered all the stuff to make my first ever kolsch.

I have heard that achieving floculation can be a bit of an ****. I was planning on carrying out primary and then putting my vessel outside (currently 2C to 8C) to attempt a cold crash for a week before bottling and lagering.

Does anyone have any advice on any of this as I trust the advice dished out on this forum above and beyond that of other places.

Thanks
I brew mine for two weeks at 14c, turn up to 18 for two days then cold crash.
They seem to taste good from the off.
But I'd say six weeks to clear.
I use Wyeast Kolsch
One of my favourite styles along with Altbiers 👍

I brew mine for two weeks at 14c, then cold crash.
They seem to taste good from the off.
But I'd say six weeks to clear.
I use Wyeast Kolsch
One of my favourite styles along with Altbiers 👍
I can't chill my fermenter...any advice? Still too cold to go outside

I can't chill my fermenter...any advice? Still too cold to go outside
Just a nice constant cool spot in your house.
I always find under the kitchen table a good spot.
I do understand that this probably isn't practical for many though 🤣

I've used CML Kolsch yeast lots of times and it's always cleared up nicely. I've never had to fine any of the Kolsch I've made other than a bit of Irish moss in the boiler.

If you can't chill your fermenter, than just give it more time before packaging. Even if it isn't perfectly clear, once it's kegged or bottled and you can get it refrigerated, it'll clear. Just expect a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle or when you pour the first pint.

If its fermenting at room temp will it affect the flavour profile vs a cooler ferment. It was always my intention to put the fermenter outside for secondary where the temps are consistently sub 10C before bottling

So I brewed last night and pitched at about 11pm...no airlock activity at all...is this normal?

Back