Kolsch advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tested again (2 days since last test) and it hasn't budged. I'm wondering if I didn't aerate the wort enough. It is also on the bottom end of the temp tolerance for the yeast...should I put it somewhere warmer?

Just tested again (2 days since last test) and it hasn't budged. I'm wondering if I didn't aerate the wort enough. It is also on the bottom end of the temp tolerance for the yeast...should I put it somewhere warmer?
Yes, I would try putting it somewhere warmer. I had to go from 15°C up to 20°C to get mine to ferment out . . . . and as mentioned previously it still took a very long time. The worst that can happen is that you might get a slightly more estery beer, which I'm sure would not be unpleasant.
One can never be certain, but it seems unlikely that the lack of dissolved oxygen is the cause of the slow/stuck fermentation. I'm pretty sure that it would not have kicked back into action again when you added more yeast had that been the problem. . . . . . . You loose nothing by waiting 🤞
PS - It's perhaps worth keeping in mind that you are at greater risk of spoiling your beer by continually opening up the fermenter to take samples for SG measurements. It's better to leave things alone for a week or so.

Yeah mine was at like 16C so I have moved it quite close to a radiator now so hopefully that will wake the little buggers up😁

Just done a quick test after 1 week carbing in the bottle and there are bubbles...just not a lot. Since it took forever to get through primary should I assume that I will have the same issue with carbonation?

Just done a quick test after 1 week carbing in the bottle and there are bubbles...just not a lot. Since it took forever to get through primary should I assume that I will have the same issue with carbonation?
I can only add that after bottling I left my Kölsch for 1 week of warm conditioning (at 20 degC) followed by 3 weeks plus in a cold garage, and I'm pleased to say that it's turned out really well. . . . . . I know how tempting it is to dive into it, but you have nothing to loose by waiting a bit longer.

You can drink bottles after 1 week carbing but it usually takes two at least. I put bottles in the airing cupboard for a couple of weeks. That always does the trick.

Ok I should be brewing mine on Saturday in junior king keg, so have opportunity to try fermenting under pressure. My thinking is this will help me avoid any issues that others have had with low temps by fermenting a bit higher without compromising flavour.

4kg bohemian pilsner malt
400g carapils
150g acid malt

step mash 40 mins at 63c, 20 mins at 72c

hops either tettnang or Hallertauer Mittelfruh, or a mixture of the two. ( any tips?)
80 min boil
wlp029 German ale/kolsch yeast, starter made.

my thinking is to ferment at 18c under 10psi pressure for two weeks before cold crashing and kegging.
i will also be trying out clarity ferm for the first time as my father in law likes Lager and is gluton intolerant, so this will be one for him.

how does this sound to the Kolsch experts out there?

Ok I should be brewing mine on Saturday in junior king keg, so have opportunity to try fermenting under pressure. My thinking is this will help me avoid any issues that others have had with low temps by fermenting a bit higher without compromising flavour.

4kg bohemian pilsner malt
400g carapils
150g acid malt

step mash 40 mins at 63c, 20 mins at 72c

hops either tettnang or Hallertauer Mittelfruh, or a mixture of the two. ( any tips?)
80 min boil
wlp029 German ale/kolsch yeast, starter made.

my thinking is to ferment at 18c under 10psi pressure for two weeks before cold crashing and kegging.
i will also be trying out clarity ferm for the first time as my father in law likes Lager and is gluton intolerant, so this will be one for him.

how does this sound to the Kolsch experts out there?
That's not far off my recent recipe. I used 200g of Vienna instead of your 400g of carapils. I didn't use any acid malt, but I wish that I had done because my mash pH was a bit high. However, the beer turned out well.
As far as the hops are concerned I went for the Hallertauer Mittelfrueh because I think that they have a bit more character. But that said there is nothing at all wrong with the Tettnanger hops.
I don't have the possibility to ferment under pressure, so I have never done it and therefore can't really comment from any personal experience. But it's a recognised technique to obtain a clean fermentation, and that is what you need for a really crisp tasting Kölsch.

Back