Kopperberg Mixed Fruit Tropical

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanhead

Reaction score
Hey brewers,

I've left it a while now mainly due to the dreaded climate and not doing many festivals, but with everything opening back up I'm trying to get back into the brewing swing of things.

I had previously tried brewing apple cider with fresh mango and passion fruit to mixed reviews. I don't know whether it was because it was fresh as opposed to bottled syrup or whether I'd added during fermentation as opposed to conditioning.

However, I've recently tried the Kopperberg Mixed Fruits Tropical and loved it. I'd say I definitely got a hint of mango/passion fruit and their ads state pineapple too.

Has anyone tried anything similar please? i.e. a tropical flavoured cider? Also, when flavouring, do you brew all in at the fermentation stage or add the additional flavours during conditioning?

Would love to try a similar tried and tested method if anyone has a favoured recipe they'd recommend.

Thanks,

Beans

So have decided to just chance a recipe and went on the fly:
  1. 3 ltrs Tesco pressed apple juice
  2. 1/2 ltr Tesco pressed pineapple juice
  3. 1/2 ltr Tesco pressed apple and mango juice
  4. 1/2 jar Tesco finest alphonso mango and passion fruit coulis (136g I think)
  5. 1/2 cup strong tea
  6. 1 tsp Pectolase
  7. 1g Youngs Cider Yeast
  8. 1 tsp Youngs Nutrient
I was in two minds about the citric acid, but will go without for now. This is all an experiment so who knows how this will turn out, but hey ho!

I calculated 1052 on the OG

So this has really taken off:

IMG_20220311_113717.jpg

Really bubbling well

IMG_20220311_113723.jpg

Got that orange brain forming of all the pulp

IMG_20220311_113732.jpg

And has a great colour to it. The smell coming from it is a really nice pineapple and mango smell. I honestly can't wait to try it, it's definitely cloudy I'll say that.

Once I can get this out the way I'll move on to a forest fruits hopefully.

Brewed it out to exactly 1.000 yesterday. I had a quick swig and it's definitely got a tropical fruit juice taste to it, but no precise mango, passion or pineapple flavours if that makes sense.

Conditioning out now, I added a fair bit of Xylitol to sweeten it out, some Monin Passion Fruit syrup and I added Bentonite and Pectolase to try and clear it a bit more.

Will leave it another week in the DJ and then bottle with sugar to add a bit of fizz. Hoping this will be ready by June/July for festival season.

Will the passion fruit syrup not kick it off fermenting again ?

How much sweetener did you put in per DJ ?

So has that been about 3 weeks ?

Will the passion fruit syrup not kick it off fermenting again ?

How much sweetener did you put in per DJ ?

So has that been about 3 weeks ?

Yes that was always my fear with post ferment flavouring, but nothing as yet, a few bubbles but the airlock hasn't moved an iota.

I started with 2 tbsp of Xylitol, but wasn't sweet enough for me, so added another one. Sweetening for me is whatever suits your taste. I like it sweet but not sickly sweet.

Yes, roughly three weeks, its cleared quite well now, so will bottle and prime in a few days.

Latest posts

Back