Kveik American Amber

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrannBrew

Damo Brann
Reaction score
I've tried many times to brew an american amber, not recently since using Kveik yeast or treating my water. I use to brew one for either fathers day or my dads birthday. Which is going to feel weird as he unexpectedly passed a few days into this year.
I was looking through my recipe books few weeks ago and came over a recipe I earmarked to use as a malt base, for a recipe with my dad in mind and I had one of those moments things just creep up on you.
the recipe will have hops that share my dads initials, like I always have tried. I do have some Manderiana Braveria in the freezer from last month which I'll use which covers the B. I use Galaxy for the G and always have switched the E hops around.
Never have really successfully nailed the malt profile.
Anyway, put the recipe together (below) based on looking at various recipes. What do people think?

Just need to come up with a name..... Life finds a way (a callback from a childhood memory), G.E.B Amber Ale, BSB (Brann's Special Brew), GSB (George's Special Brew), All Father Amber (because i'm using Kveik yeast).

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Amber Ale

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 20 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 25 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.040
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 4.74%
IBU (rager): 35.9
SRM (morey): 14.82
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
3700 g - Maris Otter Pale (82.4%)
170 g - Caramel / Crystal 60L (3.8%)
450 g - Munich - 60L (10%)
23 g - Chocolate (0.5%)
145 g - CaraMunich (3.2%)

HOPS:
19 g - Mandarina Bavaria (8.5 AA) Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 13.82
28 g - Mandarina Bavaria (8.5 AA) Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 7.97
28 g - Enigma , Type: Pellet, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 11.48
28 g - Galaxy (14.25 AA), T Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 0.5
10 g - Mandarina Bavaria (8.5 AA) Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.13
14 g - Enigma, Use: Boil for 0 min
14 g - Galaxy Use: Boil for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 67 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 15 L
2) Sparge, Temp: 79 C, Amount: 15 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.7 L/kg

YEAST:
Omega Yeast Labs - Voss Kveik OYL-061
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 79%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 20 - 36.67 C
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
Method: co2
Amount: 1.91 bar
CO2 Level: 2.5 Volumes

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile
Ca2: 75
Mg2: 5
Na: 40
Cl: 75
SO4: 80
HCO3: 110
Water Notes:

Can't help much with the recipe, but just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss but also how beautiful what you are going to do is. I still have my dad but never had the relationship with him it appears you clearly did with yours - must have been great to have that. I'm sure whatever comes out of the brew it'll be an amazing thing. Good luck pal.

I have an American Amber conditioning in the bottles. My malt was
Maris otter
Munich
Crystal 80
Special w
Chocolate
Hops were centennial cascade and amarillo

Your recipe looks good đź‘Ś

Its been the 1st chance to post since brewday a couple weeks ago. The beer is carbing up ready for the proper test this weekend but the taste out of the fermenter when transferring was very promising. Basically like drinking it real ale style. Hops come through but not in an overpowering way and coat the mouth to give a nice lingering aftertaste. It didnt taste thing or 1 sided either.
A couple of things I did differently compared to how I usually go about brewday - heated the mash water and the sparge water in 2 goes rather than filling the kettle completely and transferring what I needed.
I used my old BIAB grain bag inside my mash tun (that itself has a SS coil to filter). I think this was the biggest difference as you can see by the pictures it stopped all the small grain particles being transferred. I buy ready crushed grains via the MM recipe generator but find sometimes there are v. fine grains.
I also used NBS BrauSol Special at the end and itself was another big difference, that amount of trub at the bottom of the kettle was double even triple the amount I would usually see.
I even took my wort chiller out of retirement to chill it down, my thinking was that as I was boiling outside I would use the hose to connect to help chill the beer, with it only having to chill down to 36-40c as I was using a Kveik yeast it wouldn't be too time consuming. It wasn't as it only took 35 mins.

I was surprised to find that I acheived 12% increased efficiency compared to other recent brews. Was using the grain bag that much of a difference, I mashed/sparged for the same amount of time and same grain to water I would usually do - so maybe?

I have uploaded pictures of brewday and up to keg transfer onto a Photo Library if anyone is interested.

If its anything like it tasted out the fermenter then I will be very happy come the weekend.

Back