Kveik: maintaining a fermentation temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobGreaves

Reaction score
Is it necessary to maintain the high pitching temp throughout the fermentaion? or does the fermentation process create sufficient heat iteself?
If it's necessary to add heat any suggestions for a suitable method? (I don't have a fermentation fridge and I thought that Kveik may solve my problem).

I have a fridge and a reptile heat mat hooked up to an inkbird, I can hold 30c with the 20w mat but if I want closer to 40c for Voss then I'll add the 14w as well, not looked too closely at when the inkbird is actively heating though. Given that these yeasts are often done within 48 hrs they might hold themselves at 30c ish alright if you wrap the FV in towels or something?

They're also not that sensitive to temperatures, I've fermented Voss down at 25c and it can apparently go sub 20c as well, just takes longer.

Kviek ferments very quickly. One thing you could do is pitch the yeast at the top fermetnation temp end of whatever kviek you're using. Then wrap the FV up in towels/blankets/etc. The thermal mass of the Fv full of wort combined with the high pitching temp, combined with the exothermic properties of a fermetation, along with the fact kviek ferments so fast should mean that by the time the temp has dropped below the minimum kviek fermentation temp the wort should be completely fermented. I've never tried this but in theory I think it should work

Latest posts

Back