50g Perle
100g Idaho
50g Ella
I was thinking of a Citra smash with the MO any suggestions welcome

CaptAwol

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bit of an open question, what strength, what style, how bitter, how hoppy
I think that yeast is probably optimum at higher temperatures so you'll need heat for the fermenter, and for a good fermentation I'd suggest it would have stable, but then I only know of that yeast so I could be waffling bullocks
With the ingredients obviously a single malt
With hops, use oldest first especially if any have been opened

the baron

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with Kveik clearing. It only takes 3 or 4 days to ferment out but if you use the slurry it takes about 6 to 7 days to ferment out why I do not know but I have asked this question in the forum before, I am just doing one which has gone down to 1.007 in a Summer Ale style in 6 days on 2 teaspoons of slurry as of this morning. I usually leave my Kveik brews if first gen about 8 days before kegging or 10 days if second gen, I will proceed to add 1teaspoon of gelatine and leave for 24 hours then keg and it will be clear in the keg in a couple of days.
Ps I use CML dried Kveik

stuarts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats me decided going to do the Witbier and then as I have time this week take a chance on making a Kveik MO Smash with the centennial hops . I have made a great Centennial MO smash before from MM so the only difference will be CML Kveik Voss

the baron

Staff member
Reaction score
if you have temp control keep Kveik high @ 37c it will ferment faster and throw more of the tropical esters which it can lack at lower temps. If you do not have temp control pitch high @ 40c wrap the FV in towels blankets to retain the heat and it will be done in 4/5 days if a first pitch, as I said I use CML Voss so others may be different maybe.
Good luck I am just mashing in for a Centennial, Chinnook and Tomahawk IPA at 50grams of each in a whirlpool @ 75c with Kveik

stuarts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I have a fermentation fridge and a DIY Fermentation Box so will probably use the box as the fridge is in use with a CML Tribute.
With Festivals , holidays and family I am having to up my brew days I can see another courier delivery from CML on the horizon .

prog99

Landlord.
Reaction score
if you have temp control keep Kveik high @ 37c it will ferment faster and throw more of the tropical esters which it can lack at lower temps. If you do not have temp control pitch high @ 40c wrap the FV in towels blankets to retain the heat and it will be done in 4/5 days if a first pitch, as I said I use CML Voss so others may be different maybe.
Good luck I am just mashing in for a Centennial, Chinnook and Tomahawk IPA at 50grams of each in a whirlpool @ 75c with Kveik
Do you find it produces citrus notes? My latest has slightly overpowered the elderflower. (not in a bad way mind you)

the baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it can produce Tropical/Citrus notes which some people have described as a acidic taste (do not forget citrus is a acid). I have used it in ale styles and it has been ok to me I suppose it is like IBU sensitivity and some people are more susceptible to acid tastes than others.
I am IBU sensitive hence I never use bittering hops and get my bittering from my normal hop additions or just use whirlpooling to reduce the IBU contribution
Ps Kveik is not a replacement for the chosen yeast in certain styles but a general allrounder, if you are wanting the best of lets say bitters a relevant yeast will always win

Reaction score
Maybe I should persevere with the Kveik Voss (CML).
I wonder if I'm overpitching as I've read that it likes to be underpitched.
I harvest the yeast from the krausen and keep it in small bottles in the fridge so it's difficult to guess how much I'm pitching.
A bit more experimentation I think!

the baron

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are using dry first time a third of a packet for lower ABV a half to higher is ok IMO. Pitching slurry 2 teaspoons is enough. Give that a try and see if any better for you and for clarity just to help a teaspoon of gelatin mixed in 300 mls of water warmed until dissolved will bring it clear

the baron

Staff member
Reaction score
I never use nutrient myself but if that is part of your process and you think it will help use it. I find it goes off like a bullet when pitched high and never had a problem with attenuation but I only do low ABV beers 4% ish. It may help on higher ABV beers though to help the yeast through although it does like under-pitching

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I always use nutrient with kveik :laugh8:. I tend to have a lot of bread yeast at any given moment so I add about 1 tbsp of bread yeast for a 23-25 litre batch 10 mins before the end of the boil. In my experience when I don'tuse nutrient the ferment is really slow, and on higher ABV beers it stops early.

Just a thought though, @the baron are you using farmhouse yeast or lab isolates?

the baron

Staff member
Reaction score
I always use nutrient with kveik :laugh8:. I tend to have a lot of bread yeast at any given moment so I add about 1 tbsp of bread yeast for a 23-25 litre batch 10 mins before the end of the boil. In my experience when I don'tuse nutrient the ferment is really slow, and on higher ABV beers it stops early.

Just a thought though, @the baron are you using farmhouse yeast or lab isolates?
Hi jceg I might try the nutrient on the slurry to see if that speeds up the fermentation time, what other type of nutrient could I use as I prefer not to use bread yeast?
Thanks

Alan_Reginato

Reaction score
I used Voss Kveik once at 35 C. It gots a lot of orange/citrus, and its acid as well.

I don't like the bitter/citrus combo, neither bitter/fruit. But I think it's ok, if you like that.

BTW it doesn't get clear. Same wort, a side by side with BE-134.

IMG_20220613_151307.jpg IMG-20220611-WA0013.jpeg

Latest posts