Kveik storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got home Monday from work my job can have me any where at any given time to find a delivery on my door step I've been gone since Saturday at 7.30 am and home at Monday 5.30 pm so a good few hours in between I allways get a txt or email when something is arriving so I know in advance to prepare but I have liquid kveik this time first time I said I would use it .20 to 27 degree outside all weekend is it bad or gone off ???
1591036247307756508031175965080.jpg

No it wont have gone "bad" or "Off". What will have probably happened is that the some of the cells will have died and others may be in poor shap. But the good news is you can just 're-grow' some new cells to replace any that have died or are in poor shape by putting it in a starter to 're-grow and re-vitalise'

I'm a basic kit brewer so it's in the fridge now what more can I do to revitalize it please

Kveik seems a bit different to other yeasts. I had a jam jar of slurry in the fridge dated beginning of November and, having a bit of a clear out, I thought I'd try it. Took a sip of the beer on top of it: flat and languid, but nothing amiss. Made a starter and pitched it in my Erlenmeyer and it was away in 4 hours. Second time in a week that I'm having to make a beer I didn't want to make just to keep the yeast going. In short, Opshaug is bulletproof. No reason to believe Voss would be any less resilient.

As I say, put it in a starter. 3 days before you plan to brew - boil 1.2L with 130g of DME and cool to about 20c in the sink. Get a 5L water bottle (sanitise) and put the starter wort in it. Add the yeast. Then shake vigorously about four times per day. This will re-invigorate the yeast.

Latest posts

Back