Kveik Stuck Fermentation - what to do?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssashton

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm fermenting this Kveik NEIPA

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/brewboard-whc-tmm-colab-majorvane-neipa/
Started at 35C. It's now 6 days in and still at 1020-1022.

I put in the dry hops 3 days ago dropped to 32C.

2 days ago I added 2 tsp of yeast nutrient but it doesn't seem to have done anything. Possibly it's gone down 1-2 points in 2 days but that could be sample variation / temperature.

I removed the dry hops today.

Should I leave the fermenter at the warm 32C for another week? Should I keg it and leave in cellar (18c) for a couple of weeks? Should I dose some more yeast? (I do not have Kveik on hand, only Bohemian Lager yeast or Gervin)

I'll raise temp to 38C as directed in the recipe and see if it moves after a couple days.

With some kveiks they can flocculate before finishing the job, and it seems framgarden does this. I would recommend gently rocking the FV to get some yeast back into the beer.

Gave it a good shake and raised the temp to 36C. Now gravity at 1014. I think I'll transfer tomorrow. I'm quite worried leaving it for so long at a high temp is going to give me oxidised beer.

Not keen on this Framgarden yeast. Much prefer VOSS.

I don't think high fermentation temperatures oxidise beer so you should be fine on that front. I don't think I've had Framgarden before, but have tried a few other kveiks. Farmhouse Voss is nice, as is the Omega strain, but wasn't too keen on the Lallemand version. Farmhouse Ebbegarden contains lactobacillus and makes a fantastic sour beer.

Latest posts

Back