Kveik Voss - Porter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_tea

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just bought some of the Kveik Voss strain from eBay, with no real plans on how to use it.

I have all the ingredients for a 10L smoked porter. I may add some extra malt powder or grains and make it up to 19L so I can keg it though. I was thinking of brewing it up over Xmas. Do you think it would be worth a try to use the Kveik on this? Anyone used this strain for dark beers?

I just bought some of the Kveik Voss strain from eBay, with no real plans on how to use it.

I have all the ingredients for a 10L smoked porter. I may add some extra malt powder or grains and make it up to 19L so I can keg it though. I was thinking of brewing it up over Xmas. Do you think it would be worth a try to use the Kveik on this? Anyone used this strain for dark beers?
Strange-Steve used it to make his Mad Russian stout with great success, I think. Here's the link:
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/the-mad-russian-imperial-stout.81892/

I find it really improves the turnaround of my stout. I can drink it as soon as it's carbonated. I have used in other styles but it's my preferred yeast now for brewing a stout

Yes, I've used it in Stouts and it really doe's ferment fast and quite high temperature. It also sinks quickly when finished. The remaining sludge once beer removed is like a thick clay quite tough to spoon out and put in jar ready for next beer. Well worth using I think.

Yes, I've used it in Stouts and it really doe's ferment fast and quite high temperature. It also sinks quickly when finished. The remaining sludge once beer removed is like a thick clay quite tough to spoon out and put in jar ready for next beer. Well worth using I think.

Out of interest, how does everyone keep the temps up (and what temp did you set it to?)? I have a ferm fridge in my garage but I'd guess the tube heater would be on a lot of the time to keep it in the 30s?

Voss makes a good stout, I pitch mine as close to 40c as I can as I struggle to keep it above 35c even in summer with the CFC, then ferment at 39c. I generally need both my heat mats (14W and 20W) to maintain that, the 20W on its own can sometimes maintain 30c for other strains. Having said that Voss works well down to 18c I believe though I've only gone down to 25c.

Also, don't pitch as much as usual, you'll only need a teaspoon or so of thick slurry for he batch. I find that if the OG is below 1.060 then a teaspoon of nutrient also helps it go smoother, but it was other strains which struggled when I forgot and they may just be slower than Voss.

Latest posts

Back