Kveik vs Be-134 in a Session IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan_Reginato

Reaction score
Recipe:

15th Zeus Session IPA.png

*Inverted Sugar was priming. Aiming 3 vol co2.

Brewd 2 months ago.

I splited batch, inoculated one with Voss Kveik and other with be-134.

Kveik. Fermented @ 35 C, it smelled like tangerine or orange peel. Nice. But it tasted like a bitter tangerine or orange peel. I don't know if it's the best combination. Citrus and bitter.

Be-134 @ 28 C. Phenolic. Clove/cinnamon, classic. FG 1.011. ABV 5%.

And tasted today. Kveik was too acid for my personal taste, and citric. Isn't something that I would throw in sink, but I just didn't like it that much.

Very, very different beers. Just Zeus hops presence was equal. Bitter, Herbal and spicy.

Be-134 with characteristic clove/cinnamon, dry.

Ended up too dark, maybe a hint of roasted could be tasted there. I was trying to give a red colour, but was too much roasted barley....

Talking about Kveik:

Maybe it get better with time. Was only 2 months since I brew it.

I'll give another chance, but this time with lower fermentation temperature.

Many brewers write about Kveik been too acid, and I guess they're right. Isn't a super yeast, but a interesting tool.

Attachments

• 1649642744786.png
    1649642744786.png
    133.8 KB · Views: 15
Hi Alan. That's quite an unusual recipe, with the yeasts you chose, and just Zeus hops, and the 200g roast barley.

But I think I would like both beers. They sound quite intense, with bitterness and some acidity. Sometimes I like to know I've been in a fight! I like Zeus/Columbus hops, and the yeasts will add a lot of flavour and complexity.

I am also sure they will mellow with time. I made a beer with Lalbrew Voss last summer and it improved a lot with a few months to condition.. I've not yet used BE-134 but saison yeasts can do no wrong, as far as I am concerned.

I might try something similar over the summer. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back