Kveik Yeast in American Amber Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill1649

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to brew an American Amber ale using Amarillo hops (35 EBU) and was planning to use a Voss Kveik yeast. Any suggestions or comments? It's the 1st time I've used a Kveik Yeast.

Recipe for 10l / 2 gallons:
1600g Maris Otter
125g Caramalt
375g Crystal malt
200g Torrefied Wheat

Amarillo Pellets - 10g 60mins: 8g 30mins: 8g 10mins: Any Amarillo left will then be added at Flame Out approx 25g and allowed to stand for 20 minutes before chilling.

Voss Kveik Yeast

OG 1053: 5.1%: 35 EBU

I am also planning to top crop some of the yeast for future use - any suggestions on how to store.

Many thanks.

Did a clone of Trve Hellion an american amber. Used opshaug kveik under pressure at 35 celsius came out well .

I wouldn't bother with the top crop just dry out some of the bottom yeast. Have a look at David Heath homebrew on how to dry kveik yeast.
I dried my first lot of yeast and keep it in the freezer and then just chuck a few flakes into the wort and away it goes so it's all first generation still.

This looks to be along similar lines to a batch I did last week, though I've added Northern Brewer and challenger to get some cedar/pine undertones. It could be a complete flop, but it's an experiment!

2kg pilsner
2kg UK pale
500g Vienna
500g wheat
200g medium crystal (175Ebc)
40g dark crystal (300ebc)

25g Magnum @60
7g Northern Brewer @60
20g Amarillo @10
5g challenger @10
10g Northern Brewer @10

25g Amarillo @4 days
5g challenger @4 days
15g Northern Brewer @4 days

Fermented with 1tbsp Voss slurry harvested from a previous batch.

Similar at 5.1% and 39IBU, 16EBC

I have this ready to keg
Texas Twister
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.900
Total Hops (g): 69.40
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 7.8 (EBC): 15.4
Bitterness (IBU): 34.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Pilsner (91.84%)
0.150 kg Caraaroma (3.06%)
0.150 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (3.06%)
0.100 kg Munich I (2.04%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Northern Brewer Pellet (9.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
20.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
29.4 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 30°C with cml voss

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

This looks to be along similar lines to a batch I did last week, though I've added Northern Brewer and challenger to get some cedar/pine undertones. It could be a complete flop, but it's an experiment!

2kg pilsner
2kg UK pale
500g Vienna
500g wheat

25g Magnum @60
7g Northern Brewer @60
20g Amarillo @10
5g challenger @10
10g Northern Brewer @10

25g Amarillo @4 days
5g challenger @4 days

Would be interested to hear how it turned out. I'll post more info on mine too - just started brewing this morning.

Well, I'm impressed! Not the best picture but, this is the Voss Kreig after 4 hours! I used 6g, reconstituted in water and added to the wort at 34 centigrade. I've never had a yeast work so quickly! Looking forward to harvesting this yeast and tasting the beer!

Attachments

• IMG_20210622_201412573.jpg
    IMG_20210622_201412573.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 42

2kg pilsner
2kg UK pale
500g Vienna
500g wheat

25g Magnum @60
7g Northern Brewer @60
20g Amarillo @10
5g challenger @10
10g Northern Brewer @10

25g Amarillo @4 days
5g challenger @4 days

Very interesting! How do you store the slurry? Do you wash the yeast or just put into Kilner type jars as is?

@fgoulding I wash and boil up to three jam jars, lids and a desert spoon, then rinse with StarSan. Spoon the slurry into the jam jars once they're cool. Lids on then store in a fridge.

When you come to reuse the yeast, remove from fridge, allow yeast to gradually normalise to pitching temperature. For other yeasts I pitch a 250ml jar of slurry if it's quite new. For kveik I've read that 1 tbsp is enough but make sure you have added nutrient to the wort.

Just dry the yeast out and freeze it. So easy and so easy to use next time. You just take a couple of square inches of flake about a potato chip size and drop it on the hot wort. Remember kveik is a hungry beast so double nutrients and oxygen if you can.
Save the fridge space for other yeasts.

Please do let us know how this turns out! I made my fave American amber (with lots of Columbus) last year with Lallemand Voss and it was a bit disappointing to be honest. The voss thinned out the lovely malty backbone and made it a bit one-dimensional. Hope yours works out better.

So, the fermentation was over in 2 days!!! Final SG of 1012 achieved. Beer racked into secondary to further clear before Barreling. I'll do 6 bottles as well to see how it lasts and improves over time. Initial tasting was okay for an unmatured beer, looking forward to seeing how it improves with a little aging.

I wasn't able to top crop the yeast as it was over so quickly! I've bottom cropped, put into clean, sterilised jar, added cooled boiled water and sat in the fridge over night. I'll pour off the liquid later today and add more cooled, boiled water, leave for another 24 hours, pour off the liquid and then store in the fridge. Here's a picture of what it looks like at the moment. Followed these instructions - A Guide to Cropping Yeast - Grainfather Community

Attachments

• IMG_20210625_115718367.jpg
    IMG_20210625_115718367.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 38
So, the fermentation was over in 2 days!!! Final SG of 1012 achieved. Beer racked into secondary to further clear before Barreling. I'll do 6 bottles as well to see how it lasts and improves over time. Initial tasting was okay for an unmatured beer, looking forward to seeing how it improves with a little aging.

I wasn't able to top crop the yeast as it was over so quickly! I've bottom cropped, put into clean, sterilised jar, added cooled boiled water and sat in the fridge over night. I'll pour off the liquid later today and add more cooled, boiled water, leave for another 24 hours, pour off the liquid and then store in the fridge. Here's a picture of what it looks like at the moment. Followed these instructions - A Guide to Cropping Yeast - Grainfather Community
I've read a few posts that say it's best to store the yeast in some of the beer rather than decanting the beer and using boiled water. Beer contains alcohol that prevents infection, plus less tampering with the jar the better.

I've read a few posts that say it's best to store the yeast in some of the beer rather than decanting the beer and using boiled water. Beer contains alcohol that prevents infection, plus less tampering with the jar the better.

I like the sound of that.....so much easier than washing the yeast. But do you still have to decant the beer and and the yeast in order to remove the trube?

Just barreled and bottled the beer - dropped nice and bright after 3 days! I've got to say this is the fastest brew I've done. Initial tasting is good - obviously, it needs to carbonate properly - but, great citrus, floral, slightly sweet flavour with well balanced bitterness. Am going to leave it for 2-4 weeks to mature, the bottles will be stored longer. My next brew will be a dark beer/stout and I'll try my cropped Kveik yeast - fingers crossed!

Back