Kveik yeast question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilb

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you've all had a good Christmas and New Year and enjoyed your own brews.
Thinking ahead to the warmer months, I'm wondering about using kveik yeast instead of the kit supplied yeasts for my brews over the summer. The only place in the house I have for brewing is the upstairs spare bedroom which gets to between 25 - 35 degrees in mid summer. Unfortunately I haven't got the advantage of a brew fridge, so would using kveik yeast and a heat pad to help maintain the high temperature range needed solve my problem?
If so, any advice and pointers please?

I have mostly used Voss (as you can get it dry) and on the whole it works well. I do find that it does seem to stall if it gets much below 25°C but on the whole it is pretty easy to use. I typically pitch at about 40°C and just leave it to it, it does however go extremely quickly, I,e. I have had batches ferment out fully in less than 48 hours. When I know it is going to be a tad colder I do find a heat pad and a couple of towels is enough to keep the temperature up.

Taste wise I find Voss to be pretty neutral although if you get in to the upper end of the temperature range (think 37°C plus) it does tend to leave a slight orange flavour although in an IPA can be rather pleasant.

Different strains will of course have different flavour profiles and may act differently but I have brewed a fair few quite good IPA’s and sudo larger using Voss.

I have mostly used Voss (as you can get it dry) and on the whole it works well. I do find that it does seem to stall if it gets much below 25°C but on the whole it is pretty easy to use. I typically pitch at about 40°C and just leave it to it, it does however go extremely quickly, I,e. I have had batches ferment out fully in less than 48 hours. When I know it is going to be a tad colder I do find a heat pad and a couple of towels is enough to keep the temperature up.

Taste wise I find Voss to be pretty neutral although if you get in to the upper end of the temperature range (think 37°C plus) it does tend to leave a slight orange flavour although in an IPA can be rather pleasant.

Different strains will of course have different flavour profiles and may act differently but I have brewed a fair few quite good IPA’s and sudo larger using Voss.

Thanks for all the info and advice athumb..
I shall give it a go in a couple of months!

Back