Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's fair regarding pitch rates, I use a calculator for overbuilding starters so I have a rough idea of amounts. Almost certainly inaccurate but at least gives me some consistency. I've heard the same about kveik pitching but am likewise nervous of going that low. My old ale got half the usual ale pitch and was going nuts a couple of hours later, already slowing after 24 hrs.

I'm really excited to get into this strain of yeasties... Sounds like my cup o tea.

Gjernes is going strong again, 1.082 to 1.020 in 4 days (estimated fg was 1.024), might not be 100% done but I wanted to check since this is the longest primary I've seen so far, but thinking of it, this is the first that isn't in a leaky FV so I can actually see the airlock going this time. If it's stable over the next couple of days I'll get it in the bottle.

As usual my refractometer was 2pts under the hydrometer so FG was 1.022 for 7.9% abv. Still no orange from a low but not crazy pitch, but I think it gives a strong earthy character as it's a familiar note from the other 2 brews. Doesn't help that this beer has a massive malt bill with boiled down first runnings and some treacle to boost the OG after I missed it by a bit. So the yeast has done it's usual and fermented something fast and we'll, no heat at all from the booze but the flavours are going to need time to mellow.

Carbonating slowly I think, just holding the bottles at upstairs room temp which will be low 20s. What temp have others been holding for bottle conditioning?

Do folks cold crash their kveik before bottling? My first 2 brews with the Gjernes Voss weren't and don't have much sediment but the Old Ale is a bit of a mess with heaps of yeast/trub transferred from the FV to bottling bucket and now ended up in the bottles.

I seem to recall @BeerCat having carbonation issues after a cold crash?

Do folks cold crash their kveik before bottling? My first 2 brews with the Gjernes Voss weren't and don't have much sediment but the Old Ale is a bit of a mess with heaps of yeast/trub transferred from the FV to bottling bucket and now ended up in the bottles.

I seem to recall @BeerCat having carbonation issues after a cold crash?

Cold crashing does not affect carbonation. The beer that did not carb up very fast was not crashed but took a log while to get any fiz and become drinkable. Not sure why but did not produce a quick beer or a great one. The RIS carbed up fine in a few weeks.
As for the other yeast (who's name is in the fridge) sent from Dan perhaps i didn't give it long enough. After 1 week i crashed and added gelatine and the beer was very murky.
What yeast are you referring to and why do you think you have trub in the bottle?

Ah right, thanks for the clarification. I'm still using the Gjernes Voss kveik, so same one as you've been using mostly. I've not had a chance to try out the Opshaug / Strandadalen from Dan yet but I might use it in a dark mild in 2 weeks.

When I transferred to the bottling bucket there was a heap of very loose gunk in the bottom few litres which got sucked up by the siphon. I guess I maybe should have taken the volume loss and tried to leave it behind but I had been siphoning from the bottom and getting clear enough (for a dark beer) transfer. The carboy that is aging has a decent bit of sediment settled out and the bottles are similar, hopefully it compacts down over time as sediment wasn't an issue with the previous 2 batches; they were bottled on day 5 and 6 and have my usual thin layer in the bottle.

I've just brewed my impy stout for Christmas using the yeast I got from Dan.
Grew the sample I had in a 750 ml. starter, saved a bit and pitched the rest.
Batch is only 14l at 1.074, but less than 4 hours later and I can already hear it but bubbling away. ashock1

I went for 30c. It's very strange opening the fridge and getting a face of hot air.
I'll take a sample tonight and see what's happening.

Oh, that will be interesting as that strain is listed as fermenting at 23.5c in the kveik registry.
Ooops...I looked at the registry before I brewed the beer and somehow missed that, or I read so much about the different strains I forgot. aheadbutt

Seriously my first attempt with this demon yeast ended up with a super attenuated 7.2% beast of a pale ale. Very drinkable and the hop/malt combination i think is a winner. I just need to recalculate how much this yeast attenuates to get it back to not blowing your face off!!!!

Last edited:
Back