Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled my porter yesterday too. Really impressed with the Yeast Bay Sigmund Voss strain. It had formed a lovely jelly like cake on the bottom of the FV, I was able to really tip the FV quite a big, and it didn't budge at all. The most solid yeast cake I've had. I didn't recover any yeast from it, as having used cacoa nibs it wasn't a good idea to really. I have a good amount in the fridge though from when I built my starter, and I'll probably overbuild again when I do my next starter, build my stock up some more.

I'll be using it in at least my next 2 brews, probably more. Next one is going to be a black treacle oatmeal stout, nice and seasonal. Then on to my planned chocolate mint oatmeal stout. I'll be using golden naked oats in both. My wife is kind wanting something paler brewing, but I'm just not feeling it, she'll just have to drink some Greebo Pee Saison, or if she's feeling mental there's loads of Mr Pump's Braggot (mental because it's a tad on the strong side...) or something.... lol

When you say as warm as you can, just how warm are we talking? I was able to manage 40c in my fermentation fridge when doing my Berliner weisse but that sounds plain daft for a yeast aunsure....
The listed pitch temp for the Sigmund Voss strain is 39c in the kveik registry. My first 2 were 35 - 37c, the last one but steady 39 due to an extra heater.

Good luck.

242A4191-3B3A-4BFC-8AA6-CC90AABE0DD4.jpeg

So here is my review of the kveik black lager kindly swapped with @BeerCat

So I’ve only made one beer so far with the yeast kindly donated to me by the same forumite. Have you tried it yet?

And on first smell and taste I can tell this is the same yeast. Under pitched and fermented very warm this lager exhibits all of the same character in my own first kveik attempt.

But this is just lovely. I can tell you’ve been brewing with this yeast for a while now because your getting really quite good at figuring out how to make it work in different beers because this lager is lush!! If you get the opportunity to swap a kveik with this guy you must!

I love the way there is that kveik aroma and flavour but with that lager and caraffa undertone. Correct me if I am wrong? This lager has such a great character brought to it by the kveik yeast. I am continuingly amazed by this yeast, it just keeps on showing it’s versatility.

Update : what was the hop combos in this? The yeast gives so much flavour I couldn’t pick them out.

Thank you for sharing this one with me. I fear my lemon drop ipa will pale in comparison. Albeit a bit on the stronger side....

Thank you for sending me this beer. I would love the recipe.

Last edited:
Looks like my chocolate orange robust porter might just turn out ok too... Poured a cheeky bottle tonight to check they were priming ok (was a bit worried about some bottles I bought, 2 different lots of crown caps tested, we were able to turn both if we used some kitchen roll to grip them with...). Priming fine luckily.

IMG_20181017_212501.jpg IMG_20181017_212525.jpg IMG_20181017_212550.jpg

Thinking of doing a no boil Berlinner weisse as i am running out of kegged beer. I have read they can be done in 5 days so even less than my 1 week wheat beer. From what i understand i can mash, raise it to 75c to pasterise then add the lacto at around 35-40c? Leave it for a day and add the kveik. Would be bittering with 30g of tettnanger in the mash for about 5 IBU or i could add hop oil at the end of fermentation. Should i use the sourpitch or yoghurt?

Thinking of doing a no boil Berlinner weisse as i am running out of kegged beer. I have read they can be done in 5 days so even less than my 1 week wheat beer. From what i understand i can mash, raise it to 75c to pasterise then add the lacto at around 35-40c? Leave it for a day and add the kveik. Would be bittering with 30g of tettnanger in the mash for about 5 IBU or i could add hop oil at the end of fermentation. Should i use the sourpitch or yoghurt?
Sour pitch is really good. Sounds doable, although I'm not sure I agree that the souring makes a faster beer, and Berliner is more a summer drink for my tastes, otherwise sure why not. I used a half pack of sour pitch on a kettle sour wit base blueberry thing and it was well soured in 18hrs at 37.

Sour pitch is really good. Sounds doable, although I'm not sure I agree that the souring makes a faster beer, and Berliner is more a summer drink for my tastes, otherwise sure why not. I used a half pack of sour pitch on a kettle sour wit base blueberry thing and it was well soured in 18hrs at 37.

Great i will go with the sourpitch and half a pack. I meant the beer is ready quicker because of the high fermentation temp rather than souring. If it comes out good i can send you a bottle. I owe you some beers and i will be bottling a RIS this weekend. Do i need a different FV for lacto or can i wash it out? Cheers

Great i will go with the sourpitch and half a pack. I meant the beer is ready quicker because of the high fermentation temp rather than souring. If it comes out good i can send you a bottle. I owe you some beers and i will be bottling a RIS this weekend. Do i need a different FV for lacto or can i wash it out? Cheers
Depends who you listen to and the condition of the fv. I'd definitely go over the top on cleaning it afterwards, say a rub and soak with caustic then bleach should be fine. The sour pitch did seem real quick so you might want to just copitch with the yeast maybe? I've also seen the idea of a split batch, half sour half yeast, then recombined once souring has finished.
Cheers.

Beercat, keep up the good work!!! New here, but have some knowledge to share. I am one of those "deviant brewers"...;) Trying to brew always something unusual. Lately got into kvass, have a sourdough starter I use for baking bread for the last 6-7 years. I fermented tha last kvass with the starter,got an elderberry and lime tasting sour drink. Used the FV afterwards for a clean fermentation, no problems...just clean it really well, and you should be ok.

I reckon most, if not all, of us posting in this thread now, like to brew "off the usual path" in some way it seems. ;) For me, I like to try to create my own recipes, and have developed a liking for trying to created flavour infused beers (my last brew was a chocolate orange porter, next one is going to be a chocolate mint oatmeal stout, both made with kveik). I know the latter sounds rank, but I've tested the flavours out using extracts in Mackeson milk stout a few times now, and trust me it's absolutely DELICIOUS! athumb..:beer1: The trick for me is getting flavour in there, whilst keeping it tasting like beer, rather than some kind of mouth wash or something.

We're all a little crazy maybe? :laugh8:

Beercat, keep up the good work!!! New here, but have some knowledge to share. I am one of those "deviant brewers"...;) Trying to brew always something unusual. Lately got into kvass, have a sourdough starter I use for baking bread for the last 6-7 years. I fermented tha last kvass with the starter,got an elderberry and lime tasting sour drink. Used the FV afterwards for a clean fermentation, no problems...just clean it really well, and you should be ok.

Thank you and welcome to the forum. Had to google kvass to see what it was. Have to have another go at making a sourdough starter, you cant beat home baked bread. Hopefully will brew the sour this weekend. Cheers :beer1:

A few tips for your starter, I tried several types of flour but the best result was always with whole meal wheat flour...I don't keep it in the fridge, just feeding it daily, baking bread with it 2-3 times a week. My starter doesn't like if I change the feed for another type of flour.... Brand doesn't matter just whole meal wheat.... Usually making a bread at evenings then put it in the oven at 6am, by the time the family is up they have fresh warm sourdough...I miss out cause I work from 7 am... I also make my breakfast in the evening by mixing warm water and ground porridge oats with a few spoons of starter, leaving it to ferment overnight...really good for your stomach-guts...

I reckon most, if not all, of us posting in this thread now, like to brew "off the usual path" in some way it seems. ;) For me, I like to try to create my own recipes, and have developed a liking for trying to created flavour infused beers (my last brew was a chocolate orange porter, next one is going to be a chocolate mint oatmeal stout, both made with kveik). I know the latter sounds rank, but I've tested the flavours out using extracts in Mackeson milk stout a few times now, and trust me it's absolutely DELICIOUS! athumb..:beer1: The trick for me is getting flavour in there, whilst keeping it tasting like beer, rather than some kind of mouth wash or something.

We're all a little crazy maybe? :laugh8:
Well said, one (if not the main) reason I started homebrewing, I can put in my beer whatever I like, made blackberry ale, mango wit, peated malt ale(15% peated malt). I cannot buy any of those anywhere...so I make them for myself... Friends are always happy to try something new. My two best: chamomile elderberry honey ale with oats. The other one was an open fermented direct contaminated red( had a cigar, cherry, plum, cognac vanilla, oak, red wine taste. Left a bottle to carry the bugs to the next red brew but had to move house and bottle got broken....) Your mint sounds good, I know I couldn't make it, always overdoing these things....Not enough not enough just a little more.... It's too much now....is my thinking...

:?:acheers.
Thank you and welcome to the forum. Had to google kvass to see what it was. Have to have another go at making a sourdough starter, you cant beat home baked bread. Hopefully will brew the sour this weekend. Cheers :beer1:
I have a proposition: Just struck me, you want a sourdough starter ( I have one). I'd like to try kveik (you have one) Why don't we send each other some micro organisms?

Well said, one (if not the main) reason I started homebrewing, I can put in my beer whatever I like, made blackberry ale, mango wit, peated malt ale(15% peated malt). I cannot buy any of those anywhere...so I make them for myself... Friends are always happy to try something new. My two best: chamomile elderberry honey ale with oats. The other one was an open fermented direct contaminated red( had a cigar, cherry, plum, cognac vanilla, oak, red wine taste. Left a bottle to carry the bugs to the next red brew but had to move house and bottle got broken....) Your mint sounds good, I know I couldn't make it, always overdoing these things....Not enough not enough just a little more.... It's too much now....is my thinking...

The mint you have to literally just use a smear. When I was testing, I put about 1 drop in a glass for both half a pint and a full (almost) pint, and it worked just as well for both (the half was milk stout, the full (almost a) pint was Murphys, both bought purely as experimentation beers, why risk ruining good beer after all? lol). Then a nice few drops of vanilla and a nice few drops of good quality chocolate extract. Was spot on, with just that hint of mint you want, rather than it tasting like mouthwash or toothpaste. Kinda like an after eight mint flavour. There are a few commercial brewers doing chocolate mint stouts, 1 I've read reviews for where they got it right, most reviews state they taste like mouthwash. Seen a few home brewers on forums try it too, and most ended up with mouthwash. The other common mistake is using Spearmint, rather than peppermint. Quite a few folks try to do it using mint tea bags, but you don't have enough control then imho, you really have got to be able to just put that hint of mint in there. End of the day, it's far too easy to ruin beer with mint.

I'd rather have too little in there at the end of the day, that way you still have a drinkable beer. Pretty much the case with my chocolate orange robust porter, next time around I'll know to use the zest of about 5 oranges (rather than 2), and to use roasted cacoa nibs not raw ones.... It's still a really tasty beer though, where if I'd rushed in with too much, it could have come out tasting like fairy liquid.... lol

The mint you have to literally just use a smear. When I was testing, I put about 1 drop in a glass for both half a pint and a full (almost) pint, and it worked just as well for both (the half was milk stout, the full (almost a) pint was Murphys, both bought purely as experimentation beers, why risk ruining good beer after all? lol). Then a nice few drops of vanilla and a nice few drops of good quality chocolate extract. Was spot on, with just that hint of mint you want, rather than it tasting like mouthwash or toothpaste. Kinda like an after eight mint flavour. There are a few commercial brewers doing chocolate mint stouts, 1 I've read reviews for where they got it right, most reviews state they taste like mouthwash. Seen a few home brewers on forums try it too, and most ended up with mouthwash. The other common mistake is using Spearmint, rather than peppermint. Quite a few folks try to do it using mint tea bags, but you don't have enough control then imho, you really have got to be able to just put that hint of mint in there. End of the day, it's far too easy to ruin beer with mint.

I'd rather have too little in there at the end of the day, that way you still have a drinkable beer. Pretty much the case with my chocolate orange robust porter, next time around I'll know to use the zest of about 5 oranges (rather than 2), and to use roasted cacoa nibs not raw ones.... It's still a really tasty beer though, where if I'd rushed in with too much, it could have come out tasting like fairy liquid.... lol

I have had a nice after eight stout. Terrific beer

Fairy liquid sounds like fun, only problem is you'd burp bubbles afterwards...haha...:) Planned to brew on this weekend but son got sick so probably brewing is cancelled. Planning to make something with chillies maybe a porter/stout...may try kveik on high temp with low OG. Add chilli in temporary ferment in a few days remove chillies keg it and drink...

Chillies you say? Easy that one! Super dark chocolate stout, plenty of cacao nibs in secondary for a good dark chocolate flavour. I don't know if you've ever tried the 80% dark chocolate with chillies in it, but it's delicious (if you like dark chocolate that is. I'm one of those supposedly borderline psychopaths who likes dark chocolate over milk chocolate... lol).

If it was summer, I'd probably brew something bonkers, like a chilli and coriander Saison (with Kveik yeast though, naturally), hopped with Mosaic, Citra and Amarillo. It's winter though, so the beer has to be dark.... lol

Chillies you say? Easy that one! Super dark chocolate stout, plenty of cacao nibs in secondary for a good dark chocolate flavour. I don't know if you've ever tried the 80% dark chocolate with chillies in it, but it's delicious (if you like dark chocolate that is. I'm one of those supposedly borderline psychopaths who likes dark chocolate over milk chocolate... lol).

If it was summer, I'd probably brew something bonkers, like a chilli and coriander Saison (with Kveik yeast though, naturally), hopped with Mosaic, Citra and Amarillo. It's winter though, so the beer has to be dark.... lol
Yeah I know the chilli choc you're talking about. I also prefer dark chocolate, but not eating it often...not like chillies...with everything, I am addict, any time we r out for a meal I must ask for extra chillies.... Cocoa nibs sounds like a good idea, never used them before but always wanted to...I should brew a stout for Xmas...still have time for maturing it...:)

Latest posts

Back