Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to get hold of some Kveik yeast, did you good people get yours from the 'Kveik World Order' Facebook group, or is there another Kveik FB group ?

Thanks in advance.

There's one just called "Kveik" that I'm a member of. That's where I saw somebody offering vials. I got the last one I'm afraid! I imagine they come up reasonably regularly.
Omega labs & Yeast Bay (I think) also sell strains. Apparently those in the know aren't huge fans of those varieties though given that they're single strains rather than the mixed cultures you get from the artisan chaps...

I'd love to get hold of some Kveik yeast, did you good people get yours from the 'Kveik World Order' Facebook group, or is there another Kveik FB group ?

Thanks in advance.

I could send you some and maybe you could buy something else to swap? Seems pointless all of us buying the same yeast as was not cheap. This is the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kveik/ The translations are sometimes interesting so i should ask my Mrs to read it for me. Here is a registry of Kveik strains. http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/farmhouse/kveik.html#kv1

Apparently kveik is traditionally boiled for a long time to caramalise the wort. They also used to heat stones and add them. I have tried reducing some wort and adding it back but unfortunately that got infected. I forgot to tighten the lid of my no chill cube and left it for ages before i realised.

@BeerCat Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you when I next make an order and you can pick a liquid yeast or whatever.

I could send you some and maybe you could buy something else to swap? Seems pointless all of us buying the same yeast as was not cheap. This is the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/kveik/ The translations are sometimes interesting so i should ask my Mrs to read it for me. Here is a registry of Kveik strains. http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/farmhouse/kveik.html#kv1

Apparently kveik is traditionally boiled for a long time to caramalise the wort. They also used to heat stones and add them. I have tried reducing some wort and adding it back but unfortunately that got infected. I forgot to tighten the lid of my no chill cube and left it for ages before i realised.
If a bunch of us get into kveik then having a mini group share could be fun. Shame about the infection, in my 15L batch of Bock I boiled down 3L of the first runnings and added them in at 15 mins, was like treacle and the dregs instantly set on the pan... The beer tastes awesome, not sure how much of that is due to the reduction but it does have a caramel-sweetness to it.

@BeerCat Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you when I next make an order and you can pick a liquid yeast or whatever.

If you dm me your address i will package some up next week. If you get hold of any different kveik please send me some but don't stress. Already have loads of yeast in fridge so don't stress., its good to share. :)

@Zephyr259 I realised boiling it on an induction hob wont caramalise it. I dont have a burner so cant try that.

Hi BeerCat, I'm trying to estimate an attenuation for this yeast in the GF recipe builder. I can't seen to match your figures. You did a 14 L batch with the 3.5 kg of grain in the first post? What were your OG and FG? Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply. That comes out as 72% average attenuation for the yeast, which puts it in the usual range of english ale yeasts. I was slightly concerned it was going to have an attenuation similar to a saison yeast which would make it harder to use in some styles.

Just opened a bottle and its flat as a pancake. I guess its not been very warm in the house recently so i will have to be patient. I really don't like flat beer so its hard to give much feedback taste wise and my sense of smell is a limited today. But i will say its very clean, no yeast flavours or aroma. Not getting much from the saaz, smells and tastes malty with a little bit of sweetness. I would have no idea this had been fermented so hot, no off flavours, twangs or aftertaste. I should of added a flamout addition as i like hops and upped the IBU a little. I reckon this will be great in English style beers (something i have no experience of though) and once it gets hot its going to be very interesting.
Going to try and knock up the RIS up in the next few weeks and will send some samples out with any luck.

I have just knocked up David Heaths fast RIS of youtube . Had all the ingredients apart from hops. Managed to get 77% efficiency and an FG 1101. Hoping for something just over 10% ABV. The wort is pitch black and it started to move the airlock almost immediately. I pitched a really good dose of yeast so expecting it to finish in 3 days. His recipe says IBU is 160. Not sure if that's a mistake so taken mine down to about 70.

Fermentation has finished. Not sure how long it took but today there are no bubbles. Raised the temp to 39c and then i will cold crash. Maybe 2 weeks in the fv then 2 in the bottle. I am really tempted to have a sample now but i don't want to lose the co2 of the top.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried drying their kviek yeast out in-between brews.

Not yet but i have a jar and some paper so i think i should give it a go. Its funny some or one of the strains were revived when they found a yeast ring years later. How cool is that.

I have just been and checked on the RIS again and its completely finished. Nothing in the airlock. I am hoping 80% attenuation. What is a good amount of sugar to bottle with? I am wary of stouts as even if i cold crash they seem to overcarb but this yeast is so different i think i may bottle a few and put the rest in a DJ to condition for a few weeks.

I know your not meant to reuse yeast from high alcohol brews but i may throw some wort on it just out of curiosity or even a mead. What do you think?

Is it being sent by David Barker by any chance?
Out of interest, how long did it take for your kveik to arrive? Apparently, mine was posted ~7 working days ago and I've not seen a sign of it. Wondering how lethargic the Norse mail system is likely to be!
Cheers

Latest posts

Back