Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I'd give an update on my Cherry Bakewell porter, which was fermented with Sigmund's Voss. As mentioned, this came out at around 8.8% ABV, hence the update. It got bottled on 10/1 and yeah it had a serious hit of alcohol flavour to it (not fusels, just very alcohol flavoured). Poured a bottle for my wife yesterday, not a trace of this, just tons of cherry flavour, so already conditioned out as per usual with a Kveik. Sadly no real almond flavour, and absolutely zero head, wife enjoyed it anyway though, even if it did look like a glass of cola.... lol

I’ve done a couple of hoppy pales with the Voss now, both have a good citrus aroma and are tasting well. I washed some slurry from the first brew and have grown them up on a stir plate and have a good amount sat in the fridge for some future brews. The last batch had 60g of dry hops, I harvested some slurry to dry out, I tried to only get yeast but I’m sure there will be hops in there too, anyways, it’s dried out and looking like this,

8833C2AE-EA67-49CB-AC96-C12722557128.jpeg

Has anyone else tried drying slurry and brewed with it or does everyone generally top crop?

I’m just curious if what I have looks like it would ferment or wether it looks too ‘hoppy’ to do so?

I’ve done a couple of hoppy pales with the Voss now, both have a good citrus aroma and are tasting well. I washed some slurry from the first brew and have grown them up on a stir plate and have a good amount sat in the fridge for some future brews. The last batch had 60g of dry hops, I harvested some slurry to dry out, I tried to only get yeast but I’m sure there will be hops in there too, anyways, it’s dried out and looking like this,

View attachment 18011

Has anyone else tried drying slurry and brewed with it or does everyone generally top crop?

I’m just curious if what I have looks like it would ferment or wether it looks too ‘hoppy’ to do so?

It will be fine hops or not. I used to top crop but can't be bothered anymore and use slurry. Never tried drying it though, what was your method? Photo looks like leaves.

View attachment 18011

My understanding is that voss is supposed to be bottomharvested. Since it's highly flocculative . I'm sure it'll be fine. Love the color!

After racking I carefully spooned the yeasty layer onto some greaseproof paper, (which was on a baking try with paper towels in between) trying to leave as much hop behind as I could and then placed it in a spare room until it looked dry. This took four days. athumb..

Ok, I'm bought into the whole Kviek thing and I'm itching to make another brew. Does anyone have and Hornindal or Ebbegarden I can cadge off them? Struggling to find places to buy that are in stock.

After reading all the posts up till now - It appears that Voss is the main one being used here, which I am definitely interested in, in addition to the Hornindal and Ebbegarden.

Does anyone have facebook and ordered from any of the sellers of kveik recently? Anyone else fancy trying one of the two above? I don't use facebook, but would be more than happy to pay for it and split a culture if anyone wants to do the facebook donkey work...

Brewuk will be getting Hornidal back in stock in a couple of weeks, I asked about it yesterday.

A few of us had Opshaug from @danbriant but he doesn't seem to have been about for the last 6 months. The sample I had got used twice and showed really poor attenuation both times, looking back I didn't do it any favours with a super high OG braggot (and forgot nutrients) and a lower OG mixed fermentation.

I'll have a poke about facebook and see what's going currently.

As I said, happy to pay for it (as long as its not ridiculous!) and split it if you do stumble across any gems

Second attempt drying the remaining slurry. This was washed once with a kettle full of cooled water then again spooned on to greaseproof and left in the spare room.

E3B3605C-73CA-43AF-85BC-B771A916AAB0.jpeg
4D7DF5D3-061C-46CE-A879-E805C1F407B6.jpeg

Definitely looks a bit cleaner!

So, I took the plunge and ordered 2 of the WHC kveiks from the home brew company. Went for the Valkyrie and the Bjorn. Looking at the descriptions, and this is guesswork only, I'd say Valkyrie is a good match for Ebbegarden maybe? Going from the enhancing bitterness thing here.

Bjorn, well even more guessing needed there. In fact I am going to have to ignore the descriptions on the Kveik registry completely and draw from my own experience and take a stab at saying Stranda. My experience with that, using Omega Hothead ale, is that the banana aroma is only present during the peak of fermentation, then fades away, leaving hints of tropical fruit flavours. I could be completely wrong of course, anybody used a Kveik strain that more closely matches this maybe?

@uDicko, @entertheflagon and I have just started a wee exchange, between us we have Voss, Ebbegarden, Hornidal and Saure, or will do in a week or so. I've previously sent a few folks some Voss with the charge being a bottle of the resulting beer, a bit like a brew swap. Would that interest you?

So, I took the plunge and ordered 2 of the WHC kveiks from the home brew company. Went for the Valkyrie and the Bjorn. Looking at the descriptions, and this is guesswork only, I'd say Valkyrie is a good match for Ebbegarden maybe? Going from the enhancing bitterness thing here.

Bjorn, well even more guessing needed there. In fact I am going to have to ignore the descriptions on the Kveik registry completely and draw from my own experience and take a stab at saying Stranda. My experience with that, using Omega Hothead ale, is that the banana aroma is only present during the peak of fermentation, then fades away, leaving hints of tropical fruit flavours. I could be completely wrong of course, anybody used a Kveik strain that more closely matches this maybe?
Ade, Do you think thee are isolates, single strains or their blends?
Have you contacted them?

@uDicko, @entertheflagon and I have just started a wee exchange, between us we have Voss, Ebbegarden, Hornidal and Saure, or will do in a week or so. I've previously sent a few folks some Voss with the charge being a bottle of the resulting beer, a bit like a brew swap. Would that interest you?
That sounds good to me man!

Should be an interesting collection of kveik going around soon!

I'll have Voss, Ebbegarden when everything arrives. Was planning a california common and considering split batch experiment to see the differences.

Happy to follow suit with @Zephyr259 and anyone wants some happy to do the beer/kveik swap

Back