Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed up a California Common on wednesday and pitched Voss. I had a spare vial of it after posting to people so used that as it was about 2.5 ml of settled slurry so good for the 15L batch, got pitched into 500 ml of cooled first runnings then pitched into the main batch once it was boiled and chilled. Started hearing slow bubbles about 12 hr later at midnight on way to bed (probably started sooner) and by morning it was happily bubbling away. Today it was mostly quiet, then I head a bubble or 2 every 30 seconds maybe so probably done by tomorrow, 72 hrs from pitching. Fermented this one a bit cooler at 25c for a bit more of a "lager" character it's said to give, didn't want to risk going cooler as I've only ever used this strain at 35 - 40c but seemed happy enough, maybe my previous fermentations were getting longer due to it not liking a regualr pitching rate?

I'm currently fermenting a corn flake wine with voss that's got around 5 kg sugar in 25 litre. Not sure on expected abv but should be a good test tho. Does give a classic eggy smell but not as strong as other yeasts I've used in the past

I'm currently fermenting a corn flake wine with voss that's got around 5 kg sugar in 25 litre. Not sure on expected abv but should be a good test tho. Does give a classic eggy smell but not as strong as other yeasts I've used in the past
Cornflake wine? Why would you make wine from cornflakes? Wouldn't that need mashed?

Yesterday I brewed a sort of NE IPA. 3kg Lager, 2kg MO, 1kg wheat, and some oats. I mashed for perhaps 2 hours at 67c, as i see some quite good efficiencies when I do. Boiled for 1.5 hours, and ended up with 25lt at 1.065OG.
The the weird stuff!
I really liked being able to only have to chill to 39c! Then I transferred to the fermenter and manually areated. Then on everyone's advice pitched just 10ml of Omega Voss! That was really difficult to get my head around!
I kept checking it last evening and 4 hours after pitching that tiny amount it showed signs of some movement. This morning it has a nice thick Krausen and is chugging away really well! I whirlpooled with mosaic, Citra, Amarillo and Cashmere, and have some lovely fruity orangy aromas coming off it!

Gravity is dropping quite quickly so i will be interesting to see when it stops!

Has anyone done a kettle sour yet and if so what strain did you use?

I’ve got commercial Voss, commercial Hornindal, Midtbust, Espe & Aurland, unsure which would be best?

Has anyone done a kettle sour yet and if so what strain did you use?

I’ve got commercial Voss, commercial Hornindal, Midtbust, Espe & Aurland, unsure which would be best?
Just tasting a wheat beer I made with Stranda, came out pretty tart already, whether that would be appropriate or not I don't know.

I started a raspberry wheat yesterday, second beer made with Kveik. I used just 5mL this time (20L batch), set the temp to 38C and bubbling away furiously this morning. Will probably add the raspberries tonight or tomorrow and give it a few days before cold crashing. Not decided yet if I should cool it before adding the raspberries, might turn the heater off and add them frozen, will probably drop the temp to about 25C doing that.

@David Heath: Looking for some strain advice if you don't mind David? I have Voss, Saure, Hornindal and Espe at the moment and was thinking of using one of the at a lower temperature to brew a maibock. I've used Voss at 35 - 40c and currently in a california common at 25c (but not tasted it yet), also used Saure at 30c in an 80/-. Wondering if you'd have any opinion/advice on which yeast/temperature would be a good idea for this brew? Thanks.

I've linked David specifically as I don't think anyone else here has used Saure and that's the yeast I'm leaning towards, but obviously the question is open to all. Thanks. :-)

@David Heath: Looking for some strain advice if you don't mind David? I have Voss, Saure, Hornindal and Espe at the moment and was thinking of using one of the at a lower temperature to brew a maibock. I've used Voss at 35 - 40c and currently in a california common at 25c (but not tasted it yet), also used Saure at 30c in an 80/-. Wondering if you'd have any opinion/advice on which yeast/temperature would be a good idea for this brew? Thanks.

I've linked David specifically as I don't think anyone else here has used Saure and that's the yeast I'm leaning towards, but obviously the question is open to all. Thanks. :-)

Ok do keep in mind that my experiences are not with isolates but with just farm kveik.

I think the best known "kveik" for this would be from a choice of 2. So in no particular order:-

Voss Gjernes at 25 deg c - I used this for a Vienna lager (like) brew recently. Ive done testing with this strain at this temp for other lager like styles before and it really is very convincing as a lager.
Here is Norway this is the kveik of choice used in this way for a lager like result. In fact it is used for a huge amount of styles and just always seems to fit with the change being temperature.

An isolate sold by Bootleg known as Oslo kveik. I am unsure if you can get it in the UK though... https://bootlegbiology.com/product/oslo/
This is very lager like apparently. I have just got the original brewery mixed kveik that it came from which probably has 20+ strains in it...this isolate has one of these that is a mutated lager strain.

That is not to say the Saure at low temps would not work...It has a lager like quality to it already...so at lower temps you could see that it skips its fruity character.

Ok do keep in mind that my experiences are not with isolates but with just farm kveik.

I think the best known "kveik" for this would be from a choice of 2. So in no particular order:-

Voss Gjernes at 25 deg c - I used this for a Vienna lager (like) brew recently. Ive done testing with this strain at this temp for other lager like styles before and it really is very convincing as a lager.
Here is Norway this is the kveik of choice used in this way for a lager like result. In fact it is used for a huge amount of styles and just always seems to fit with the change being temperature.

An isolate sold by Bootleg known as Oslo kveik. I am unsure if you can get it in the UK though... https://bootlegbiology.com/product/oslo/
This is very lager like apparently. I have just got the original brewery mixed kveik that it came from which probably has 20+ strains in it...this isolate has one of these that is a mutated lager strain.

That is not to say the Saure at low temps would not work...It has a lager like quality to it already...so at lower temps you could see that it skips its fruity character.
Thanks David, the only one I have which is an isolate is the Hornindal (Omega), I'll see how I feel, might try the Saure to see how it goes or just play it safe with Voss.

Thanks David, the only one I have which is an isolate is the Hornindal (Omega), I'll see how I feel, might try the Saure to see how it goes or just play it safe with Voss.
Posted by
u/MDBrews
1 year ago
Hornidal Kveik Yeast Available Now!
renderTimingPixel.png

Over the past 6 months or so a bunch of you have asked me where/how to get the Hornidal kveik blend I have been using. I was gifted a small sample when visiting Escarpemtn Labs. At the time the yeast was not available to buy.

Now Toronto Brewing and Short Finger Brew Co are offering it! (More will shortly I assume). I cannot recommend this yeast enough. When Fermented low (68-74) and pitched at ale rates it creates a pseudo lager in about 7 days.

If you wanna brew lagers but don't have the time or temp control abilities GET THIS YEAST. Clears very easily with a 24 hour cold crash.
Will be similar to Omega. Worth a try for lager type.

Want to get into Kveik yeasts. Where is the best place to purchase and is there a list of what each one is?

Interested in reading about the ones mentioned for a lager as I have a Pilsner planned next and wondering if it would work.

Be aware that the pitch rate on the Omega kveik is very wrong. 25% is plenty for a 25-30L batch.

Back